Saturday, May 13, 2006

Afternoon Near The Garden Of Good & Evil

Alive In Savannah


We made it!

It really wasn't that hard--just a couple of hours including filling up on gas before leaving St. Simons and making one wrong turn coming into Savannah looking for Abercorn Street. I was surprised at the number of new fourlane bypass roads that have been constructed in the past 8 years or so.

Abercorn Street is like Atlanta's Peachtree Street, and its loaded with popular landmarks. Pat was suprised when we drove past many of the famous squares and the cemetary that was featured in the film "Midnight In The Garden of Good & Evil."

This little town has changed a great deal since I first set foot here in 1979. Since then I've been driving around Savannah at least a couple of times each year on business, but I haven't been back since about 1998 and boy has the change REALLY accellerated.

I guess it helped when "Midnight et. al." and "Forrest Gump" were filmed here and brought it to national attention. In my considered opinion, more is not better, and there are definitely more tourists and more "tourist streetcars" filled with gawking senior citizens and although urban renewal has removed much of the industrial clutter on the waterfront--I still think that I liked Savannah of the late 1980's and early 1990's better than todays version.

We've already wandered down to River Street (like Bourbon Street or Beale Street in Memphis) and had a late lunch, and now I'm sitting here in our second room at the hotel (the first one's internet connection wouldn't work--but I didn't pitch a fit) happily blogging away watching the weather channel.

I'm gonna get up at dawn tomorrow morning and run out to do a photo shoot on a bunch of the public buildings and churches within just a few blocks of where I sit here now. The early hour will hopefully eliminate all of the people from the scenes.

Wish me luck...

No comments: