Sunday, May 14, 2006

I’m A Blogaholic

Somebody…Please Do An Intervention


How many people do you know that will drive two hours to get to their weekend destination, only to spend the first three hours in a four star hotel worrying about the room not having a functioning high speed internet connection?

Yesterday I did exactly that, and I’m starting to feel a little guilty after the fact.

Well, maybe not…

We took a chance and arrived at the hotel about 11:30 AM, hours before the normal 4 PM check-in time and they promised us a room within a half hour.

Hurray...Hurrah...Hubba Hubba...

After taking a brief cruise around the neighborhood to kill a little time, we returned and were promptly settled into our room on the first floor adjacent to the pool courtyard.

So far, so good—right?

Wrong, because the first thing I did was attempt to connect to the hotel’s wireless internet service. NO SIGNAL.

None.

Zero.

Zilch.

NADA.

Not to worry, I’d just whip out my 20’ CAT 5 cable and plug into the wall jack. The problem was that not only was there a wall jack, but there was something close to fifty feet of blue CAT 5 cable coiled up in a bundle with yet another jack on the end of it laying nearby under the desk.

Certainly there would be a nice fast internet signal on at least one of the two connections.

Wrrroooooonnnnnggggg.

I wiggled the connectors, checked my software settings, and hit the connect button at least twenty times to no avail.

No problem, I just called the hotel “engineering” department.

Yeah…that’s the ticket.

I’m happy to say that if my AC wasn’t cooling or a light bulb wasn’t working I would have been in fat city, but the gentleman that arrived at our room just blinked and grunted and pointed to a phone number that he said that I HAD TO CALL to get service on THE HOTEL’S own internet wiring!

WTF?

So I called the number, and a service tech prompted me through a series of mindless questions like I didn’t know a CAT 5 cable from a garden hose, and once he realized that I knew how to turn the power switch on my computer to the “on” position AND that I was network savvy, he threw up his hands and called the hotel…

Hotel “engineering”, that is.

The same guy came back to the room, crawled around on his hands and knees under the desk for a few minutes, and then he asked if we would like a different room.

Not yes, but HELL YES, was my answer.

Arrangements were made with the front desk, and we wandered down to the waterfront for a late lunch while the bellman moved our luggage between rooms.

I marched back into the building and on to the second floor into our new room with a song in my heart and trepidation in my head.

Within minutes, I was in ecstasy…and here I sit 25 hours later.

I really can do without internet…really I can…IF I WANT TO…

I just don’t want to.

At least not now…

No comments: