Sunday, July 30, 2006

Landscape Architecture

It’s Tough Being Me…


I just don’t know if and how I can get everything done these days with my hectic schedule.

As an example, take a look at Saturday:

Wake up at 12:30 AM
Blog and read news on the internet
Take a nap at 4:30 AM
Wake up and snack
Go to the pool
Come home and shower.
Stop by the Art Gallery to pick up unsold photos from the last exhibit
Stop by Grocery store
Cook and Eat Dinner
Sleep on sofa
Crawl in bed
Wake up
Blog

You get the Idea…

Sunday is going to be even more hectic, because I have to spend part of the afternoon making pizza dough for another one of my monster white pizzas. I also have to manage to make time to cook a hearty brunch in there somewhere because Pat is getting tired of cereal and toast with Apple Butter for breakfast.

I’ve gotten back my enthusiasm for my K-Street Tree project because I’ve met a local landscape architect that works for Sea Island Company, and he is willing to help me develop the project.

For Free.

Well, at least he’ll provide some free advice.

I bounced my latest idea off of him about designing an ENTIRE PARK around our carved tree and he liked it. By “entire park”, let me add that the City of Brunswick already owns about 1.6 acres right beside where the tree used to live that are completely vacant, except for an old basketball court and a newer playground structure that must have been built in the last five or ten years. There is a Boys and Girls Club right across the two lane street from the parcel.

Talk about the perfect place for a park.

If I can get Jerry to lend his ideas and support to my effort, it will be MILES ahead of where it could be with just me sitting here all by my lonesome—because this guy is THE MAN when it comes to landscape architecture in this area.

See, the idea is to restore a bit of the native coastal landscape to the inner city, in an area between a school and several public housing areas, where the little kids never get to understand what living on coastal Georgia is really like—unless they get in a car or school bus and take a ten mile trip.

Due to “progress” and development and “urban renewal”, all they ever get to see is concrete, asphalt, and bricks, surrounding areas of flat bare dirt and wilting worn out grass.

My park idea would import back to Newtown Brunswick a slice of native coastal Georgia sub-tropical forest, with playscapes, a walking/jogging trail, and exercise stations mixed among the water features and our carved tree.

I know that building a park costs money, but it doesn’t hurt to do some preliminary planning and at least think about what you would like things to look like if you had the dollars to spend.

We may just end up carving and erecting our tree in the right place, then building the park over a period of years as the money trickles in.

It doesn’t hurt to dream, does it?

No comments: