Sunday, June 24, 2007

Doing Everything Twice Now

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished...


Sorry, but just in case you haven't noticed, I have to admit that I've been spending much of my time away from my keyboard the past few days. That wouldn't necessarily a bad thing in my opinion, IF I could say that I've actually accomplished anything in the process.

It would seem that I'm doomed to doing almost everything at least twice and, if I do manage to finish any given task, at least two other projects end up sitting and festering in various states of incompleteness while I spin around in circles pulling what's left of my hair out.

This process of taking one step forward, followed by two steps backward began last Wednesday while working on my renovation project. That day found me bumbling around up on a ladder holding a giant 12 foot long double 2x8 header over my head and managing to knock over a couple of loose 2x4's on top of our portable Sony radio.

It seems to still pick up radio stations OK without an antenna, as long as the radio station is next door or down the street a short distance, but now Pat will be taking a shiny new Sony AM/FM/CD Player that set me back about $50 out to the swimming pool as a penance for my ineptitude while the old antenna-less box is relegated to residing in a pile of sawdust on the jobsite from now on.

When I got home Wednesday evening I found that the little clear 40 watt light bulb that I had purchased to install in the back the the clothes dryer drum was in about twenty pieces inside the clear plastic package--also an apparent victim of my ham-fisted handling. I managed to buy another one and get it home in one piece yesterday. It isn't installed, however, so I still have time to break this one also if I'm not careful.

Thursday was a red letter day on our calendar as Pat and I signed a lease on a nice three bedroom house located down on the middle of the island near the airport. In addition to a formal living room & dining room, we're also getting a fireplace in the den and a garage for my hobbies and all my construction junk to live in for one of the cars to sit in out of the weather.

Missy, the "Turbo Pup" miniature Dachshund will benefit from having a fenced back yard to rumble around in at her leisure instead of spending her life asking to go outside attached to a leash like we have to make her do living here in the condo. I guess that you could say that everyone here in my household is excited, but I have a sense of dread lingering in the back of my skull knowing that everything I own has to be crammed into a box and put on a truck by August 1st.

Continuing along with my dissertation...

Friday was a relatively uneventful day, with me spending about four hours putting together the wet wall in the new laundry room in the Duplex and having my large format prints of my two photos show up via UPS--giving me a week to get things matted, framed, and ready for the "Welcome To My World" Photo Exhibit that opens next Saturday at the Mallory street Glynn Arts Association Gallery.

For once I was ahead of schedule and had plenty of time to finish my presentation, but then disaster struck Saturday morning when my friend Traci managed to put a couple of big finger prints in the middle of one of the $50 prints while measuring it for a mat and frame. We both felt terrible, but she graciously offered to buy another copy of the print at her cost and I placed the order once we arrived home from a trip to Walmart.

I managed to break the second light bulb of the week Saturday afternoon while attempting to be a good samaritan by replacing the light in the ladies' restroom at our pool house. Standing on my tiptoes to reach the fixture, I moved to adjust my position and dropped the bulb on the concrete floor, scattering glass shards over the entire bathroom floor and out onto the adjacent carpeted area.

Twenty minutes later I had managed to clean up the fruits of my efforts by dragging our upright vacuum down from the condo and sucking up all the glass shards (and hair and funk.) I'm sorry to report that my charitable spirit died sometime during the process and the ladies' room is still dark at this moment.

I did finally manage to almost get myself a nice sunburn while sitting around poolside drinking wine and waiting for a batch of my pizza dough to rise. Pizza has now become a weekend tradition for our household here on our little island.

A couple of weeks ago I made a little separate pizza for Missy the "turbo pup", and ever since then I've had not two but three mouths to feed on Saturday afternoon with my home made pizza.

Last evening was no exception, and the little hound diligently sat by her food bowl full of designer dog food and waited for me to cut up a small slice of pizza, let it cool, and place it in a bowl on the floor in the kitchen. She seems to like the crust, cheese, and pepperoni, but is a bit undecided about the Mushrooms and Black Olives.

So any way, Sunday will be spent finishing up some drawings for the Duplex project and possibly making another trip to the pool, and maybe then I'll have time to get angry about the news and write something interesting for everyone to read.

Until then, best regards y'all

No comments: