Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Stuck On My Roof With My Calculator

Paralyzed With Indecision...


Yesterday morning I climbed onto the roof of my Duplex for the first time. I was scared to death because I was working by myself and the structure was built the same year I was born.

A 47 year old man lurking around on a 47 year old slab of plywood, shingles, and God knows what else. It was the "God knows what else" part under my feet that made me nervous, because I couldn't see most of what I was walking on for the 2" thick layer of leaves and other debris that was covering the surface.

I'm embarrassed to report that in addition to finding a few bricks, a hubcap, and a football, I also have vines growing on my roof!

VINES...

ON MY ROOF...

I wasn't sure if I needed a lawnmower or could just use the rake I had in my hand to clear things off. Regardless, I was tired after clearing only about a quarter of the surface area, and soon found other things to occupy my time like trimming off low hanging tree limbs and building a Volkswagen sized pile of same on the curb.

After about five hours of spinning in circles on the roof and adjacent surfaces of dirt and concrete
in the near 90 degree heat, I was ready to come home, shower, and collapse on the sofa--thus the lack of posting last evening.

Today, in addition to thrashing around working on my drawings to go with my building permit application, I have to prepare to leave town headed for Florida for a long weekend.

Feel free to entertain yourselves in my absence...

No comments: