Thursday, July 05, 2007

All Southerners Aren't Really Stupid

We Just Can't Keep The Mentally Weakest Among Us Off Of The TV News...


I have to admit that my Title and Sub-Title are shamelessly stolen from my fellow Georgia Tech Alumni and internationally famous comedian Mr. Jeff Foxworthy, but I couldn't think of a better line to use in introducing this AP News story about a 5 year old boy wrestling with a rabid fox to save his siblings.

KINGSTOWN, N.C. - A 5-year-old boy grabbed a rabid fox by the neck and pinned it to the ground during a family cookout, protecting six other children before his stepfather could step in.

I wanted to protect my little brother," said Rayshun McDowell, who battled the animal in the front yard of his home Sunday in Kingstown, a town about 50 miles west of Charlotte.

The fox bit Rayshun in the leg, but the 61-pound-boy held the animal down. Health officials later identified the fox as rabid.

"I looked out the window and Rayshun had the fox by the neck and was pushing it into the ground," said his mother, Shinda Linder. "I couldn't believe what I was seeing."

Rayshun's stepfather, Ryan Thompson, pulled the boy off the animal and kicked it. A neighbor fired a handgun three times but the fox continued to advance.

Thompson, wearing a cast because of a broken leg, said he used a stick and his crutch to beat the fox to death.

Rayshun, meanwhile, asked only for a Band-Aid and didn't complain of any pain.

That must have been one tough little Fox to have survived three gunshots only to be beaten to death by a crippled man wielding a stick and a crutch.

If I was the guy holding the gun I would be totally embarrassed--he must have missed three times--because the other thing you can generally say about Americans that reside in the south is that we love our guns and most of the time we know how to shoot them quite accurately.

I have to get some sleep now because I feel the urge to make sawdust coming on me again later this morning.

Y'all have a nice post 4th of July day now, if you will...

1 comment:

James said...

Maybe it's just me, but I got the impression that the firing 3 shots was more of an effort to scare the fox away and not to kill it (at the time they didn't know it was rabid I assume)