Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Are You Government Schooled?

Actually, I think Someone Should Be Schooling The Government Instead


Check out this story about some public schools in NY State spending $64,000 per student per school year.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - It's a new twist on the $64,000 question. That's what the richest schools in New York state spend per pupil.

And now the nonprofit Citizens Budget Commission says the state should phase out funds for the wealthiest public schools, or the top 10 percent, some of which spend $64,000 per student -- six times what the bottom 10 percent spend -- in a report released on Tuesday.


SIXTY FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS?

For snot nosed kids in grades one through twelve?

Are they serious?

I did a little checking around , and according to the OCAN College Cost Database Website, last year you could go to Harvard for $46,450.00, Yale for $46,700.00, and a year at New York's Columbia University only costs $35,745.00...

Get this...those prices include room and board!!!!!!

Taking a big breath here...I have to ask:

What the hell are they thinking up there in New York, and what exactly are they getting for their money?

I did some more snooping around and I can't find data for last year, but according to
this Manhattan Institute Report, in 2002 New York public schools has a drop out rate of 30%.

I guess that I can hardly complain because Georgia's number for that year was 46%, but then again we're bitching and complaining to our local school boards and other elected politicians when we spend ten or fifteen thousand dollars per pupil.

(While I'm mentioning Georgia's educational performance, let me say that I blame the parents and the kids along with the so-called professional educators for the abysmal performance. Spending the amount of money we spend and only getting 4% more than half to make it through 12 years of "FREE SCHOOL" is not just sad--it verges on criminal.)

Still, I don't think that there is a direct one to one correlation on dollars spent versus the graduation rate, but if there was, and using the differential between Georgia and New York as a basis ($3062 per 1% improvement in graduation rate), then throwing money at the problem would require that NY schools spend...get ready

a whopping $155,860 per year per pupil.

(Georgia would actually in theory get 100% graduation for $140,852...what a bargain!)

I don't know people, but I'm glad that I never reproduced and I really feel sorry for those of you with kids in public schools. Look for the professional teachers unions and their slaves--the politicians--to continue to waste your money and ignore the idea of vouchers to allow you to pick your kids school.

Imagine what kind of education NY parents could get for their little darlin's if they took $32,000 per year to buy tuition in a private school and let the NY government keep the other half to avoid depriving all of those disadvantaged kids, both real and imagined.

By the way...based on examples like this, isn't it going to be wonderful when you let the government start handling your Health care?


Heh...notice that the "real" news reporter didn't tell you any of this stuff in the news article?

.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Virgil - Wow, great post! I had some thoughts about "Guvment Skooling" myself a while back. Different viewpoint, since I'm a parent, but same conclusion. Public schools are broken beyond repair...
Check out my thoughts here:
http://thebaldwingang.blogspot.com/2007/04/homeschooling-thoughts.html