Friday, January 04, 2008

Back To Reality The Job Site Again

Cold Weather Construction


I'm sitting here this morning watching the thermometer and basking in the warm glow I get when thinking about the upside down apple cart that was the Democratic Caucus in Iowa yesterday.

I harbor no real ill will toward the Lamestream Media and ardent Democrats, but I think that it's hilarious when the pundits and the prognosticators get things so TOTALLY WRONG as they did when they wanted to declare sHrillary Queen of the Universe when she entered the race last year.

I have the same attitude toward sports people that want to hang their hats on Football and Basketball rankings instead of waiting for the actual games to be played in order to determine who has the best five or eleven players.

Any way, when it hits 48 or 50 degrees outside we're heading over to Brunswick to finish the tarpaper vapor barrier on the new addition and install three new double hung windows in what will eventually be the dining room.

Then next week I'd like to get the new front door installed and the siding and trim on the front of the building so we can put a For Sale sign in the front yard and get this show on the road.

I've got a giant chunk of my cash invested in this project and I'm tired of waiting on appreciation to yield an increase in my paper net worth--I think that it's time to see some evidence of my financial success in my bank balance in the next eight to ten weeks.

The good news is that by selling this spring before the Democrats start screwing around with the Capital Gains Tax again, I'm looking at something like a 5% tax rate on the profits of taking the risk to renovate a property in an economically depressed, minority part of a Southern US City.

Of course there are people out there that lament me attempting to make a profit off of "poor people"--they think that I should GIVE my time and resources to the "less fortunate" else let the government steal my money and spend it on their behalf while denying me any say in the process.

I'd say that overall this exercise has been a success, because you don't pay FICA/FUTA/Social Security Tax on Rental income and with the lower Capital Gains Taxes I've basically beat the system--keeping more of my money for my benefit while at the same time improving the social condition of our community...something the government and liberals love to talk about but rarely accomplish.

No comments: