Friday, January 04, 2008

Outsmarting Myself

With More Than A Little Help From My Vendors...


There was a time in my life when days like today would have made me start screaming and throwing things around the job site. I try not to get that angry and act like that any more, but I certainly have good reason to be more than a little upset with my window vendor as of about one thirty this afternoon.

I was literally ready to starting squirting Silicone Caulk into the window framing when I realized something was seriously wrong.

From the very beginning I've had to beg them for information. First the guy I'm working with is hardly ever in the office and he's the only one that apparently handles the MW Windows product line. The week I got pricing the factory was heavily damaged by a tornado, and every time I've called I always have to wait for the guy to call me back.

I went over to pick up data sheets on the windows back in the summer and he gave me the Vinyl sheet even though I was wanting wood--saying that every style was the same and used the same rough opening dimensions and he didn't have the wood data sheet.

When I bought the windows and went down to deliver my deposit check, the guy wasn't there.

When I called to schedule the delivery last month the guy wasn't there either, so it wasn't surprising that he also wasn't in the building when I called today to get an explanation for why the three new rough openings I had just finished sealing into the new sheathed wall with tar paper and insulating tape were 2'-8" wide x 3'-10" high, and my windows were 2'-9 1/2" wide x 4'-1" high.

Oh the coworker told me--everyone knows that you buy vinyl windows based on the rough opening dimensions, where wood windows are sized based on the actual sash dimensions.

NEWS TO ME...I ASKED WHEN I GOT THE DATA SHEET AND I SPECIFIED THE ROUGH OPENING DIMS ON THE PHONE WHEN I PLACED THE ORDER.

Needless to say, since there is nothing in writing, and since the windows were custom built, that there is no sending them back IF I were willing to wait for them to be rebuilt, so tomorrow morning I'll be taking my Sawsall and mutilating my beautiful symmetrical wall framework--carving out the headers and jack/cripple studs, punching holes in my carefully taped vapor barrier to make room to re-hack enlarge the rough window holes with my circular saw.

That's a good way to spend a Saturday--wasting five or six additional hours re-doing something that would have and should have only taken four to do right in the first place.

Thanks to all the lovely people over at Varsity Supply...you really have made my day.

(What really kills me is that the windows have been stored on site for nearly a month and I was working off AutoCAD drawings done at home with the data sheet, and not once did I ever think to check the window sizes with a tape measure--I just read the stickers and saw 2-8 x 3-10 designation and continued wandering ignorantly along in my journey. All I can say is that it really sucks being a near Freaking Genius when almost half the population can apparently barely read else just doesn't give a damn.)

No comments: