Thursday, April 17, 2008

Busy Busy Busy

Or Is It Sleep Walking?


Talk about being "scatter brained"...

I've not only had to admit that I have multiple personalities, but now I have gone out and developed multiple personal and professional lives, in multiple cities (is there a made-for-TV Lifetime Movie in this story?)

Case in point, my ongoing design work relating to my prior life as an industrial smokestack designer.

One new job down on the Mississippi Gulf coast involving not one but TEN stacks is just getting started, while the other project working for our lovely post WWII NATO allies over in Deutschland seems to have taken on the persona of a Man-made Engineering "Zombie" that absolutely refuses to die.

Our monstrosity (ultimately residing in California of all places) and it's keepers thus far eats drawings and spits out inane comments on an irregular basis for over a year now.

I'm hoping that my larger hammer a large dose of patience and a few hours in front of AutoCAD will ultimately drive a stake through this miserable beast of a project's wildly pounding heart and give the rest of my small but capable engineering team a rest from our torture.

On the home front, I'm still buying and filling new boxes in anticipation of the arrival of a giant truck in my driveway next Wednesday. Things are still bouncing along up in Eastern Tennessee and hopefully large sums of money will soon be changing hands in return for a lovely pile of bricks, mortar, and Sheetrock (with some tile and hardwood floors thrown in for good measure.)

What has really taken the Lion's share of my efforts and attention these days is the hiring of additional contractors to replace my ancient creaking carcass on the jobsite complete my own version of "Tip This House" (as opposed to the TV show "Flip this House")...get it?

Speaking from personal experience--inside and outside the profession--most of the time the words "self employed residential contractor" means formerly really nice guy, with a large family and an indeterminate substance abuse problem, which may or may not answer the telephone or show up at the pre-determined time on the pre-arranged job site on any given day of the week.

Any way, sorry for my absence from the Internet yesterday, but I hope that my friends, family, and the rest of my on-line lurkers readers will forgive me because....

I'M B-U-S-Y

No comments: