Monday, May 05, 2008

Twelve Years Ago

A Loss That Still Hurts Every Day...


Twelve years ago this morning I was sitting in my boat on a lake in South Carolina preparing to celebrate Cinco de Mayo.

Then I received a call on my cell phone that changed my life forever.

My Father had passed away earlier that morning.

I parked my boat on it's trailer, drove it back to my friend's house to collect my belongings, and then began an eleven hour saga back through Atlanta to check on my cats, then on to southern Alabama.

That seemed like the longest drive I've ever taken, even though I've covered greater distances in a single day before and since.

Needless to say I don't celebrate on May 5th any longer.

My father was an exceptional man.

Husband and parent first.

A complete Gentleman.

Christian.

A gifted test pilot and electrical engineer.

What else could you ask for, except his presence today?


Miss you Dad...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry for your loss. My mother passed 23 yrs ago and the pain really never does go away, does it?
One day we will all be reunited, but until then I am thankful for the time she had here and the life skills she was able to teach her 5 kids. God bless you. I am sure you made your Dad proud.

HEATHER said...

Thoughts and prayers are with you. I know from personal experience that those anniversary dates just don't get any easier.
God Bless.

Anonymous said...

I knew your Dad from FUMC in Ozark. He was our chaperon on a few of our youth group trips. A good man and a loving and caring family man. God Bless.
Rick Heisler