Saturday, March 21, 2009

Finally Heading Home

Epic Journey Yields Rest and New Employment...


It turns out that we've missed most of the month of March on the banks of the Mighty Tennessee River because we left town March 4th and haven't been north of Greenville, SC since.

After 17 days I'm ready to go home and read some mail and make a few bank deposits.

This trip has been a HUGE success, as we've enjoyed glorious late winter/early spring weather (it only rained three days), spent time on beaches on the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico, and covered five southern states (Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, and South Carolina) in the process.

Did I mention winning second place in a Chili cookoff March 7th?

Of course the real success of this journey has been my ability to negotiate long term consulting agreements with not one but TWO separate Green Energy companies here in the Greenville area to do development and marketing work over the next year--hopefully extending over the next five years.

After two and one half months of uncertainty since Lambert Engineers "downsized" I find myself comfortably back in the independent consulting engineering business with a steady work flow and clients eager to pay me to do clearly defined projects which very likely will grow exponentially--resulting in having the opportunity to build and run larger teams of engineers and designers supporting our efforts as we move the projects out of the R&D and Pilot Plant phases into commercial operation.

I'm tempted to continue to thumb my nose at the President and the usual suspects in Washington as they flounder around in the News headlines, but to be honest I must admit that, while I've gone out and found the work on my own by using my thirty plus year old network of friends and associates from my college days at Georgia Tech, when the economic dust settles our new endeavors most definitely benefit from the coming "Carbon Tax/Cap & Trade Program" and possibly from funding resulting from the "stimulus bill."

So now it's time to do a little more Internet news reading, cook breakfast for four, load Missy the Turbo Pup's lockers and sea chests into the car, and make the three and one half hour hop back across the Smokey Mountians through Asheville to Knoxtown.

See y'all later (and wish us a safe trip...If you will...)

No comments: