Tuesday, May 05, 2009

And Then There Was One One Third

A Shadow Of The Ones That Went Before Me...


From late 1959 until 1980 there were three men running around on this planet, with the same lineage, sharing the name Virgil Raymond Rogers.

The Senior Virgil was born in Kentucky in 1912 and passed away way too young at the age of 68.

Virgil Jr., my father, made it from 1932 until this day, May 5th in the year 1996 when he succumbed to Scleroderma after a short illness at the age of 63.

I, Virgil III, as of about 9 AM Eastern standard time this morning will have lived for 13 years since my beloved Dad's passing, and doing the math I see by coming up on age 50 myself this year that based on my history I'll be lucky to make it as far as the first two Gentlemen named Virgil did.

Regardless of my plight, I miss them both, and each day in spite of the errors I've made and detours I've taken to date on this planet I pretty much try my best to emulate both of them--falling way short historically but still using them as my example none the less.

Things definitely aren't perfect, but they're most definitely better because of them.

Miss you Dad...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Virgil, your Dad was a good man. He would have to be, to chaperone a bunch of loud mouth kids on our youth church trips. The man had more patience than i ever will. I'm truly sorry he's no longer with us.
Rick