Monday, May 25, 2009

Progress

Construction & Cooking Moving Along...


Per fan/friend requests (that would be you Roy) and prior threats by your lovely and talented blogger, here's a look at the goings on here the past five days at the Turbo Pup Compound:

This first image is near the end of day one with all the fence post, support column, and plant holes done and one of two primary support beams ready to be lifted into place and lag bolted in...



Here's things at the end of day two with all the structural framing in place and squared up nice and plumb...



Saturday ended with the decking in place...


...and this one aggravating board sitting there about 2-1/2" too short:



I built all of the giant step frames and re-hung most of the fence panels before the rain set in last evening (including climbing on the roof to clean my gutters with my new extension ladder) but there are no photo's available of those antics.

Finally, here's my Butt seven pound Boston Butt after it has been seared on the outside and rubbed all over with my soon to be famous "Butt Rub" ready to go into the oven for about four hours at 250 degrees F...



Stop by with your fork about 5 PM if you will...

3 comments:

Roy said...

Looks like you're coming off a mud room. Is that a dryer vent I see? I guess you're putting in a door where the window is (duh, I now see the step). How's the height? Will you have to install a new lintel?

Speaking of dryer vents.....I committed myself to the purchase of a dryer vent booster fan last night. The idiot who designed our house (not me) put the dryer and duct too far from the exterior. Further, it's installed under the slab. Consequently, the damp, lint entrained air condenses on the inside of the duct and over time forms a sort of fabric machat restricting airflow. Until now I've resorted to periodically wadding a clothes hanger into a ball and pulling it back and forth in the duct with a rope (finishing it off by blowing the duct out with my leaf blower). Hopefully, the booster fan will increase the velocity in the duct such that meantime between maintenance is significantly improved.

Your post on Memorial day is well written and well said. I've attempted to pass my patiotism along to my children but you just can't effectively pass along the experiences of living next to a major base and knowing families who lost someone. I hope when I'm dead and gone they'll remember the flag I've flown on holidays as today, stood and removed my cap when the colors pass, and cupped my hand over my heart each time I hear our anthem or pledge.

Virgil Rogers said...

Roy, the dryer vent is through the edge plate of the floor framing (under the main floor) from a drier directly under that spot in the basement.

The window comes off the dining room beside the kitchen so the deck will enhance our entertaining and enjoyment of the back yard.

Phase two of the deck will more than double the surface area.

I put in hard 4" sheet metal duct with short flex elbows when we moved in so the total length is only about 8 feet and the dryer vents fine.

I've allowed a large recess (approx. 4"x8")in the deck surface and am riveting a sheet metal transition to direct the lint & stuff under the main deck rather than risking it accumulating under the step. (the step is screwed down however so I can access the vent in the future.)

The booster fans you mention can provide an improvement in long runs but you still need to be dillegent in checking the passage and keeping your screens clean because clothes dryers cause a significant number of house fires annually.

Virgil Rogers said...

and so far the header height looks ok...the new metal double glazed french door is sitting in the carport as I write taunting me...