Monday, May 11, 2009

Space Garbage Collector

I'm Submitting My Application Right Now For The Job...


After a little drama and nail biting, this afternoon I watched the Space Shuttle blast off into a 350 mile high orbit to chase down the Hubble Space Telescope and cram some new updated guts into it's 19 year old Chassis. (Remember they originally launched this thing into orbit with metric lenses on a system designed for English unit design measurements.)

The big story was that it seems that in less than 60 years we've already crapped up the atmosphere outside the "breathable atmosphere" to the point where "space Junk" is now an issue when it comes time to launch a couple of humans into orbit or beyond.

The Russians most noticeably had their Mir space station come crashing into the Earth and the US had the old Apollo Skylab third stage piece of junk re-enter the atmosphere without hitting me or my sofa back in the 1980's and 1990's.

Today they say that the Air Force and NASA are tracking a few million truck loads of junk--everything from old astronaut poop to lost nuts and bolts and of course the left over upper stages of rockets and dead satellites that continue to orbit until they lose energy and start dragging into the air and finally burn up on re-entry.

Problem is the little events when you're cruising along at orbital rotational velocity (something my head knows about--about 36,000 MPH) and you meet something going sideways or in the opposite direction at a similar speed.

Let's just say that it will ruin your morning, afternoon, or evening in the event of such an occurrence.

Well Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls of all ages, I...your lovely and talented Blogger and Photoshop Artist...have a solution I'm proposing this morning...

Here's a Photoshop proposal offering of my new patented Orbital Garbage Collection System (or OGCS for short...)




And here it is in action after a few weeks in orbit:


(you just have to click on that Photoshop image because I've really outdone myself showing the stuff you might collect in orbit...)

If NASA will just sell me the last few shuttles after they "decommission" them next year I'm opening a "Cosmic Antique & recycling center" down near Orlando and if you want to buy into my endeavor send cash and we'll talk...

No comments: