Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Grinding The Paint On My Wrought Iron Railings

Dying Of Lead Poisoning In The Process...


So here I am, finding myself immersed in the early stages of my latest home improvement project--attacking 46 years of paint, rust, and paint over rust on about 25 feet of ornamental steel/iron railing.

When we first moved in I had the intention of updating the appearance of the front porch with new columns and railings, but over the past 15 months the obvious heavy upgraded appearance and quality of the railings has grown on us...that and the reality of having limited funding at this time to take on such a project.

Thus after a $50 trip to Home Depot for some Rustolium, mineral spirits, and Bondo I'm now scraping and grinding away the bad spots while trying to avoid swallowing or inhaling paint chips and dust thrown up by the wire brush spinning in my drill.

Time to go back and do another section.

No comments: