Monday, November 23, 2009

Who The Heck Got To Decide Puppies Couldn't Eat Onions & Chocolate?

I'd Dang Sure Change Things If I were In Charge


Ladies...

Wouldn't it be nice if your Boyfriend's/Husband's breath didn't smell any worse than your DOG's breath?

Or vice versa?

After all, for many households that would be a MAJOR IMPROVEMENT (and you know who you are when I say that...)

And to all of my fellow Male contemporaries out there (of all races, creeds, and national origins) finding yourself in relationships of various definitions and descriptions with anyone from "that girl/woman I met last night" or "that crazy insane bitch I met last year" and proceeding all the way to "my last year on this planet because I think that she's just hanging around to piss me off..."

I want to make a valid point here...But I digress...

You see, what got this rant started is that this holiday season finds be for once in a LooooOnNNNNG time not in charge of "ALL" or "Most of" or "a Significant Segment of" the Thanksgiving Day meal.

Since we're stuck in town this year in the process of finishing "The Epic PLC Panel Project" in time for a November 30th shipment, our next door neighbors invited us to come over to their family gathering on Thursday.

I think that it really should be considered a relief, but at the same time I'm afraid that I'm going into "cooking withdrawal" because I keep offering to make things and they keep turning me down and in spite of their refusals I'll probably come up with some appetizer like Oysters Rockefeller or Angels on Horseback or a seafood dip (but not Kitty food) or something.

These days I find that I have the overwhelming urge TO COOK SOMETHING SUBSTANTIAL at least every 48 hours.

And it has to take at least two hours to prepare.

Heck, in a pinch I've been known to take one of the Food Network's Rachael Ray's "Thirty Minute" meals, drink a gallon of wine or a pint of Vodka in front of the stove, and end up stretching that sucker out to 125 minutes, then spend the next day washing the car and the dog and the ceiling to get the grease and tomato stains off everything.

It was still FUN, and it usually ends up tasting pretty good.

In recent years I cooked Christmas dinner for SEVENTEEN...plus or minus...with a little help here and there from Pat and from attendees with desert, and that took most of TWO DAY's in prep and final heating and I had to borrow a friend's oven because we'd moved out of the Island Condo with the double oven by then and I had every pot and bowl in the kitchen dirty in the end.

So this week all I have to do is show up if I want to, but back to my original point...

Isn't it weird that Puppies can't eat (or aren't supposed to eat)Onions and Garlic and Chocolate?

Seriously, I have to make a conscious effort to control the onion content of my dinner meals which Missy the Turbo Pup always generally enjoys with us each evening.

Last night I did an original dish I call "Caribbean Perogies" which features Mrs Paul's Three Cheese Potato Perogies and a mixture of Black Beans, Yellow Hominy Corn, along with Cumin and other spicy Mexican/Caribbean seasonings and ...

tons of ONIONS and GARLIC.

(somewhere there's a group of people of Polish descent shaking their heads...)

Any way, I have to leave the ONIONS and GARLIC out of the mixture until I can spoon the Turbo Pup's portion out of the pot, then toss them in.

This because our Vet says little pups shouldn't eat onions and garlic because they're toxic just like chocolate to them.

That's somehow just WRONG.

Then she has to sit there and Yip at me begging for a bite of my evening portion extra dark chocolate.

And another thing...it's possibly a two way street on the restrictions I guess.

If Missy can't have onions and garlic will someone please tell me if I have to stop eating a bowl full of her Milk Bone Tarter Control with my milk this morning?

No comments: