Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Playing A Game Of Technology "Twister"

I'm COLD And My Brain Hurts...


You might have noticed the absence of ranting and raving here on Monday.

That's because, besides being extremely busy in my basement shop where it almost feels like I'm working in Antarctica, pretty much anything I would have had to say over most of the past 24 hours would have melted MY computer keyboard before it made it onto YOUR computer monitor.

If it can go wrong, it's pretty much gone wrong over the past few weeks with components being out of stock and back-ordered and then yesterday realizing that the power supply company shipped me a 15 Volt DC supply rather than the 24 Volt DC supply I ordered for the first panel.

And now with the temperature not getting above freezing here at the Turbo Pup Compound for the past two days, and snow flurry's and similar temperatures predicted for the foreseeable future I had to stop and go to Home Depot yesterday afternoon to buy another space heater for Pat's new basement office and a couple of rolls of insulation to put in the walls of the new shop to keep things warm.

Seriously, last winter we might have had two or three days with temperatures running between the low teens and freezing daytime highs--and I wasn't living in the basement working at that time--and now our neighbors are telling us that this is more like normal winter weather for Knoxtown so the old uninsulated 1963 concrete block basement walls are going to have to have some help to make things habitable.

Of course the central heat pump system also has duct work vents in the basement but last winter we had some THREE HUNDRED DOLLAR electric bills which we really don't want to repeat this year so while I'm not busy playing the part of "Chief Electrical Engineer" I also have to do an encore performance as our "Chief Mechanical Engineer" and get some improvement in the thermodynamic performance of our building envelope.

...wait a minute...

...I just checked my fancy wireless weather station and outside my house it's 16 degrees F right now (and it didn't make it above 25 degrees F yesterday or the day before.)

...and they're predicting winds up to 25 MPH on Thursday so with the wind chill we're looking at numbers near ZERO going into the weekend.

...and checking the Internet it's going to be in the mid 50's on St. Simons this weekend.

...all I want to know is...

WHO'S IDEA WAS THIS---MOVING UP HERE---ANY WAY?

No comments: