Saturday, May 20, 2006

Cheep Indian Cars

I Have The Secret Photos…


There was a time in my life when my car was not only my transportation, it was also my ego—or at least a public statement thereof. Over the past 32 years I’ve gone from a pre unleaded fueled 1974 Honda Civic to my current gas guzzling Chevy Suburban.

My first car cost a little over $2000 new, while my Suburban cost over $36,000 in 1995. In between was a parade of Audis, Buicks, Chevys, Nissans, and Pontiacs ranging in price from the thousands to the tens of thousands of dollars.

Today I could basically care less what I drive, as long as it is safe and reliable. My old Suburban meets those requirements nicely, in spite of costing nearly $125 to fill up it’s 42 gallon tank and only getting about 9 MPG.

That said, this Yahoo News story about a company in India producing a $2000 car caught my eye this morning:

NEW DELHI - India's largest automobile manufacturer, Tata Motors Ltd., said Thursday it plans to set up a plant in the communist-ruled West Bengal state to manufacture a family car that will cost little more than $2,000.

The plant will be set up with an investment of 10 billion rupees ($220 million), and is expected to start production in two years, said Ratan Tata, the company's chairman.

A prototype of the five-seater model to be manufactured at the West Bengal plant is undergoing tests at a Tata facility in the western Indian city of Pune, Tata said.

You've got to wonder how much car you could buy for $2,000 these days. I did a little research and I actually found a top secret photo of the new Indian conveyance.

Here…take a look for yourself.


I hope it doesn't rain much in India...


No comments: