Monday, June 05, 2006

Poisoned By Moroccan Food

I Think I’m Gonna Explode


I’ve always been fascinated with the Northern African country of Morocco.

Forget places like London, Paris, and Rome; if I had the time and money I’d head straight to Portugal, and then when I was through drinking all of the Port wine I could consume I would catch a commuter plane or ship and head down to Casablanca.

Then I’d hang out with all the other Bogart and Bergman fans at “Ricks” sipping Sherry & Cognac while listening to Sam’s replacement pianist “playing it again.”

Unfortunately, since Morocco is something like 97% Muslim, I think it best to keep my white Redneck butt here stateside for the time being. Not to worry, however, because I can always cook Moroccan food here at home and pretend that I’m looking out at the Mediterranean or the far side of the Atlantic.

That’s just what we did last night.

Take a look at this recipe for Moroccan Chicken with Apricot Couscous and Green Olive Sauce in Flatbread.

I cooked my own version last night, and let me tell you—I ate more at one sitting that I have in months if not years. The whole condo smells like a Moroccan Bazzar (without the goat & camel dung) from the unique aroma of the spices involved.

The spice list includes cinnamon, cloves, cayenne pepper, cumin seed, fennel seed, coriander, sweet paprika, kosher salt, and brown sugar. You put everything but the salt and sugar in a skillet and heat it up to bring out the oils, then after it cools off a little you run everything through a spice mill to grind it up.

Instead of a whole chicken, I took some boneless chicken breasts and coated them with the spice mixture, then wrapped them up around lemon wedges, diced garlic, and cilantro; then pinned them all together with toothpicks and baked it in the oven.

The couscous has apricots, almonds, mint, cilantro, and green onions all mixed together with kosher salt and lemon juice.

The Green Olive sauce has Shallots, parsley, sherry, rice vinegar, and olive oil pureed smooth, smooth, smooth in a food processor.

I didn’t have time to bake the Lavosh (flat bread) myself and our Catholic/Protestant grocer didn’t even have any Pita bread available, so we had to settle for some pretty good Tomato Basil bread that was fresh baked yesterday afternoon.

We sat down to eat about 8:15 PM.

I was in a food induced coma by 9:00 PM, thus the lack of posting before midnight.

I tell you this, if you spend your entire life eating basic meat and potato dishes and never venture offshore to sample other countries’ cuisine, at least in your home and restaurant cooking and dining, you are missing one of life’s greatest pleasures.

I’m working up a recipe for Lavosh bread and I guarantee you that we’ll be eating Moroccan Chicken again this weekend.

Stop by about 7 PM, if you will…

1 comment:

Richthofen said...

I used to travel a lot (here stateside) and I learned one thing pretty fast. Prime rib in Kansas City is pretty much the same as prime rib in NY or Orlando or Sacremento or Tempe.

But there's one thing on any restaurant menu that differs by location. If you like to try different things, things that are very different simply by virtue of crossing a couple state lines - get the fish.

Local fish is different just about everywhere & if it's a decent restaurant, chances are that it's cooked with a delicious recipie.