Thursday, July 27, 2006

A Face Made For Radio

That Would Be Me…


Back in high school several of my buddies got jobs as “DJ’s” at the local AM and FM radio stations.

It wasn’t exactly rocket science, and although I suppose that there is a certain glamour associated with the job title, in reality what being a radio DJ amounts to is hours and hours spent sitting beside a bunch of electronic equipment waiting to go pee and go home.

Matt, Mark, and John all spun disks and did voice transitions into station breaks for a little cash, and sometimes we’d go out to the station and hang out with them just for fun.

The hard part then would be getting the aforementioned “DJ” to stop laughing so that he could talk plainly when needed. We made a sort of game of it…Goose the “DJ”…

Any way, I think that John owns one of the old stations today, or at least he is the station manager, while Matt and Mark went on to other careers.

That brings me to my real subject this morning…I’ve just learned that my friend Matt is still in the radio business in a way, broadcasting an internet radio stream over at The Sandbox…QIRT.com.

If you have a high speed internet connection, click on the link and go check Matt’s efforts out. It’s all 1970’s and early 1980’s rock and roll with NO COMMERCIALS. I open a browser window, fire up the music, and let it entertain me while I write and complain about the world.

And that smooth voice which you hear every 15 minutes, that would be Matt.

Stop by and take a listen…if you will…

No comments: