Friday, December 14, 2007

Some Concrete Giveth

And Some Concrete Must Be Taketh Away


I'm happy to report that the new concrete slab survived last evening unscathed, I found my lumber stockpile to be intact when I arrived to accept the delivery of the new windows yesterday morning, and now I'm pleased to announce...

(drum roll please)

that today is the final "Demolition Day" over on Wolfe Street in Brunswick, Georgia.

Thank GOD!

I've already worn out one cheep Skilsaw (actually a Ryobi) and one diamond blade cutting large holes in concrete walls, and the second sacrificial saw will be tossed into the construction dumpster sometime after it arrives later this morning.

After making about 50' of additional cuts in 4" and 8" cinder block walls in order to enlarge one rough bathroom door opening and more importantly, blow out a 12' wide section of the exterior front wall, the transformation of my old 1959 vintage duplex into an 1,100 square foot single family home will be complete.

Thank GOD!!!

The new floor plan features three bedrooms, two baths, a laundry/utility room, and a generous sized combination living/dining area attached to a good sized modern kitchen with lots of counter and cabinet space (by starter home standards.)

You could hardly turn around in the old efficiency plan living/kitchen areas of the duplex floor plan, but courtesy of my genius architectural efforts I'm ending up with a very livable like-new home that is only limited by the neighborhood.

Move it north or south about three miles and it would be worth an additional $50,000, but that disadvantage was factored into the price I payed for the property to begin with.

Any way, I dread holding onto that saw wearing safety glasses and a respirator for an hour making concrete dust, but the work has to be done and after that there will be another couple tons of concrete block chunks and other debris including things like sinks and toilets which have to be loaded into the dumpster.

Why I torture myself like this I'll never know, but I'm past the point of no return now. I have stacks of new windows and doors to install and siding to hang and other untold punch list items to accomplish, and unless Aliens beam me up to an orbiting UFO or out to Mars...I'll be on my job site bright and early tomorrow morning.

In the mean time, will someone please write an essay or at least a few nasty words for me about the silly woman they used to moderate the Republican & Democratic Debates in Iowa? Where do they get these women, and why are they always liberal Democrats?

I didn't like girls like that in college, and I have even less patience with them out here in the real world as an Adult. I'm sure they don't care much for me either, but ask me if I care.

Maybe it's just Me?

No comments: