Thursday, January 31, 2008

Live From The Chilly City Of Vinings, Georgia

Mass Transportation On Horizion


I'd like to wrap my hands around someone's neck this morning--if I could find the man responsible.

But I'm sure that I won't be able to find him because as far as I know LAWYERS don't work at 8 AM in the morning, so those same legal scholars certainly won't be found crawling around dingy basement laundrys at that early hour.

The good news is that my request was finally answered about 4 PM yesterday after begging since September for the opportunity to make a site inspection of the accident scene I've been working on with my consulting friend. I find it difficult to do this kind of work using second hand information gathered by people with more education than I have but less actual experience getting their hands dirty on construction job sites, so today I get my remedy to that situation.

The bad news is that for some reason--most likely carefully considered rather than coincidental or accidental (excuse the pun)--they are demanding that I be there in the hotel lobby at 8 AM to join a group of professionals who will witness the dismantling of the nearly year old damaged tank.

The problem is, in order to get from the Atlanta suburb of Vinings to Peachtree Street smack dab in the center of downtown, while at the same time not having to have Pat and Missy the Turbo Pup make two round trips with me to traffic hell, I have to ride not one but TWO mass transit systems.

Both a Cobb County Transit Bus and Atlanta's MARTA Subway/Rail System will be involved in my epic journey, and because of the early hour, and calculating in an appropriate amount of time to cover traffic delays....

I have to leave the hotel at 6:15 AM.

Who in their right mind came up with this schedule?

The offices these people work in don't even open at that hour. I bet you can't find the lawyer near his phone until ten AM at earliest.

Even if you drive into the city, you have to park in a $15 parking deck three blocks away and walk to the hotel. Thankfully for me the Peachtree Center Subway station has an exit at the hotel's back door.

The big deal here is that if you are late and miss the entry procedure, you might as well just go back home because they won't let you enter into the bowels of the building--or so I'm told.

So any way, do the math with me.

Round trip to Vinings (ignoring my earlier travel exploits) = 11 hours
Round trip from Vinings to downtown = 3-1/2 hours

Total travel time = 14-1/2 hours

MEANWHILE, MY EXPECTED TIME ON THE JOBSITE?

One to THREE hours (although they've said to plan for an all day event) ...a ratio of four to one.

Oh well, I asked for it I guess, but I don't want to hear any complaining when I send in the invoice for my time.

No comments: