Thursday, May 22, 2008

Quote O' The Day

And Some Political Commentary...


Fellow writer and personal Idol Samuel Clemmons is attributed to saying (or writing) these words:

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."

"When angry count four; when very angry, swear."

Likewise, I say that enjoying the misfortune or suffering of those you disagree with philosophically is similar in a fashion to cursing and swearing.

Thus my silence to date here on this blog regarding Senator Ted Kennedy's recent medical problems.

Needless to say that I don't personally like the baby brother of President JFK (although I've never met the man and he's never done anything to me outside of passing some ridiculous legislation since coming into office in 1962.)

It's just that simple...

I think that he's done some bad things in his life and been cut slack socially and legally because of his position in society.

Then again, who am I to comment on the pressures and pitfalls brought upon a young (or middle aged or old) man residing in the social and political position which Senator Ted has occupied for the past 76 years?

I've learned as a mature adult that it takes a better, more intelligent Man or Woman to state your case and express your position when under pressure or distress without using profanity, and I also believe that we elevate the level and meaning of the ongoing political dialogue by wishing Senator Kennedy the best as a human being while at the same time disagreeing with some of the things he's done in the past and any leftist leanings he may continue to force upon us from his bully Senate pulpit in the future.

Thus my silence, but in breaking it I offer my best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery to Massachusetts' elder statesman.

No comments: