Sunday, September 28, 2008

My Hat Size Is Bigger Than My Wallet

Who Knew?


Departing from my normal subject of politics and the other strange and inconsequential things which people I see around me in traffic and in the grocery store take as fact when they see it on TV or read it in the newspaper, I'm guilty of turning my attention to of all things...

MEN's FASHION this Sunday evening.

Specifically...

Men's Headwear.

I'll start out by saying that I've only owned a couple of real hats which were actually designed to fit my personal hat size in my life...

...that is, if you don't count the hundreds, and hundreds, and hundreds of free baseball caps I've been given and the other's I've purchased over the years of the "one size fits all" category.

Most of those don't count as true Headwear, because if you've ever seen me out wandering around in public with a hat on my head, chances are that even with the current massive levels of hair loss and resulting bulk circumferential reduction (2 * PI * head radius) the "adjustable band" with the little plastic thingies on the back or the little brass belt buckle or the annoying plastic or metal sliding cleat is positioned all the way out on the end of the adjustment range, millimeters sixteenths of an inch from letting go and allowing my hat to flop on the sidewalk or fall overboard out of the boat into the lake else out the window of the car...never to be seen or heard from again by anyone but an innocent bystander.

(While I'm thinking and writing here about articles of clothing, I have to admit that the same goes for XL socks with the range of 9 to 13 stamped on the package since everything in that category barely fits over my heal most of the time.)

Any way, I've been secretly coveting owning a nice Men's Fedora type hat like both my Grandfathers wore when they walked outside their home back in the year's prior to the 1960's and 1970's.

You know--back when women started opening their own doors and gave up relying on their long haired hippy draft dodging boyfriends and brothers to remove their Cubs and Yankees baseball caps when they entered a room, sat down at the table, or greeted a woman indoors or out.

(this behavior mostly from men that couldn't explain the infield fly rule and had never gotten closer than the beer vendor behind the third base dugout at the local AAAA level semi-pro franchise games...thus the insane insanity of the current popularity of "ball caps" residing on the heads of the "non-ball playing public.)

But I digress...

Any way, I'm lusting after looking around the Internet at some vintage Beaver skin hats made back in the 1940's and 50's and, SHEESH...are they expensive, and most of the time they are only out there on a one by one basis in what is today's boys' sizes 6X thru 12 6-1/8 through 7-1/2.

I your lovely and talented Blogmeister, wear a 7-7/8 OK, a 7-3/4 size in the better brands tightly, but prefer a size EIGHT in order to allow my massive, overtaxed and as yet under accomplished Cranium to Breath.

So what's up with that?? Ya Know....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you ever find a place that sells that size let me know, I've been looking for 2 years.