Monday, March 02, 2009

I'm Remiss In Not Mentioning

Distractions Yield Potential Slights...


This past week saw a number of positives and negatives present themselves on our personal calendar here on the banks of the Mighty Tennesse River, and I at first felt like just letting things pass because I was busy paying attention to other worldly matters but now that the dust has settled a little I feel the need to make mention.

First was the celebration of my deceased Father's birthday and that of my Sister here in late February...both of them being just a few days away from being "leap year" babies.

Next is the sad occasion of my sister's family suffering the loss of a great spirit of a pet--a twelve plus year old German Shepard who's legs couldn't carry him any further through what had been a great life with a loving family.

Smokey's gone but not forgotten down in Georgia, and I hope God gives everyone some peace with the knowledge that his suffering is over and it was all for the best in the end.

Another event of lessor importance in the big scheme but still of interest to me was Johnny Cash's birthday on February 26th in the same year of my father's birth in 1932. Here is a video of a younger 31 year old Johnny singing "Ring of Fire"...





and if you liked that you really need to go here and check out this link to the last video Johnny did before his death in September 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go




As to "The rest of the story", I guess most everyone has heard that radio talk legend (a blogger before his time) Paul Harvey died this weekend.

Some of my earliest memories were of listening to my old 1930's Philco AM radio as a kid and hearing Mr. Harvey do is version of "the news" with his polite, witty, insightful commentary.



R.I.P. Mr. Harvey

No comments: