Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Two Steps Forward...Three Steps Back

Do The Hokey Pokey And You Turn Yourself Around...


Dang it if yesterday wasn't one of "those days" for me here at the Turbo Pup Compound the International headquarters of my little company

You know, the sort of day where you're awake all day and you're sitting in front of a Computer doing whatever it that you're supposed to be doing (not playing Solitare or fooling around on E-bay in other words,) and when 5 PM comes the pile on your desk of stuff needing doing is higher than it was at 8 AM.

I guess the good news is that I have new profitable stuff to do on a more frequent basis.

The bad news is that I have the sort of personality where just because it's time to go to work on any given task doesn't mean I have the energy and creative mental attitude to crank through the process and deliver my usual super human superlative results.

I have to wait until my mind locks onto any given problem in order to make good use of my time and efforts. That's a good reason to not be on anyone's payroll but my own in spite of my two year long investigation into returning full time to the "American workforce."

I have proposals or the requests for proposal laying on my desk representing 300% more dollar value that the work we've done since the company started last fall.

I'm excited, but the work is complex and the proposals sometimes take a full week's worth of man-hours to complete at this point because we don't have a Catalog or a standard product line--everything is custom designed and custom built...and I just can't sling prices out the door without doing very accurate pricing estimates in order to not get beat and also not end up giving things away at cost.

Oh well, I could be sitting here with the phone lines quiet and nothing to do, so I guess that I should stop complaining.

Meanwhile, in national news I see where walking down a ,pubic public sidewalk with a camera in your hand while asking a US Congressman a simple question can get you assaulted.

Don't you imagine that if the tables were turned and I walked up to a Senator or Representative on the street and proceeded to grab him by the arm and neck I'd be spending at least one night in jail and probably have an assault conviction on my record when the dust finally settled?

Moving on, NOAA reports that the first area of "disturbed tropical weather" is slowly sliding it's way across the Atlantic. I can do without the hysteria but you just wait and see all of the wild eyed reporting with so-called pseudo-experts chiming in talking about the devistation which will result if the ensuing storm moves into the Gulf of Mexico.

Of course one real tangible outcome of any storms in the Gulf of Mexico will be the effect on the slow process of capturing and pumping the leaking oil out of the damaged wellhead. I hope BP has some plan for keeping their jurry rigged vaccum apparatus intact even if they have to move the workers and equipment away from the site in anticipation of the storm.

They could be right back to square one if a large enough storm forms and comes near.

I can't decide how upset to be about this disaster...it's certainly bad for the residents and the tourists and I personally have a number of friends and family which reside in coastal Panhandle cities.

But all of this freaking out and running around in circles like your head is on fire over the first event of this kind in the 60 year history of offshore drilling is ignorant, uninformed overkill in my considered Redneck opinion.

And finally this morning, on the cooking front, if appliances keep dieing in my kitchen I'm going to be reduced to grilling weenies on the grill every day.

Our little 12 bottle wine cooler (that only actually holds about five or six bottles has given up the ghost last winter and is still sitting on it's stand serving as an expensive table for keys and junk mail.

Now the over the range combination "vent hood"/microwave has crapped out in the past couple of months and I've been too cheap and lazy to go down to Home Depot and drag a new one home.

I hate "vent hoods" which do nothing but suck up a little smoke and steam and blow it right back in your face, so I'm planning on buying a REAL VENT hood wide enough to cover all four eyes on the Range and with a big blower. Then I'm going to cut a hole through the carport wall and blow my fumes out on the old Chrysler 300.

It's only a little more expensive to buy the hood and a giant counter top microwave that's large enough to actually pop a bag of popcorn on the turntable and then when we move take it with us (the microwave) rather than bolting it to the wall in the kitchen.

Of course the new hood will also require a new or modified backsplash and if I do a new backsplash I want to replace the existing counter tops, and after writing about the process my back already hurts and my brain's getting tired worrying about the other details, thus...

I'm gonna go now and do a little more proposal writing...

Y'all have a LOVELY day, if you will...

No comments: