Saturday, February 25, 2006

I Just Found Out That I’m a "Sitzpinkler"

Hey dude...put the seat down when you're finished...


I’m suffering from a bit of lethargy this evening—not being willing to spend the time to intelligently develop a good rant, yet feeling like I need to say something about a couple of issues that just won’t go away from the public’s radar screens.

While we were out at happy hour Friday evening, one of our female acquaintances asked me about my thoughts on the current “UAE Ports” brouhaha. I put on my best non-partisan face and attempted to explain my position to the three grown women in my audience (all over the age of 50…but please don't mention their ages to anyone else...you know how ladies are...and they definitely don't look it...their age, that is...) and I quickly lost two of the three in the details I expounded.

My short answer was “it’s a tempest in a teapot.”

I then proceeded to lay out my own logical thoughts on the issue, and one of my students simply turned her back and entered another adjacent conversation, dismissing my explanation by saying something to the effect of “it just feels like a bad idea (Arabs handling port operations) to me…”

That form of analysis of important issues like global security is EXACTLY what is wrong with the world today.

Yes, you should listen to your heart and examine your feelings, but every now and then you should also take your head out of your butt and think about a subject rationally.

Those of you that are interested should stay tuned to this blog to read the long answer to this “port security” issue. I'll probably publish it later this weekend.

The other thing that is still bothering me is the ongoing rioting of our lovely Muslim neighbors over the Danish Mohammed cartoons and the pansy assed, limp wrested handling of the subject by the NY Times and almost every other US print media outlet.

One of my Blog Idols, Captain Ed over at Captain’s Quarters points out Blog Diva Michelle Malkin’s recent writing on the subject, at the same time giving us a lesson in some interesting words contained in the Danish language.

Be sure to stop by over at Captain Ed’s and Miss Malkin’s websites and read the details.

The one thing I’ll point out is Captain Ed’s definition of the word Sitzpinkler.

At the risk of delivering too much information, I have to admit that I are one…a Sitzpinkler…that is.

At least I am at home.

A Sitzpinkler is German slang for a man who chooses to sit while urinating (rather than standing and spraying every single surface within twenty feet with his left over, metabolized beer and soda.)

The word is also used to mean a “wimp.”

Hey, I’m not ashamed to admit I’m a Sitzpinkler.

That might explain why my friends aren’t afraid of my bathroom either…

(Isn't it amazing the things that you can learn reading blogs???)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't mind admitting I didn't know what it's called but I've been one of "those" for about 40 years and I don't mind admitting it is mostly out of respect for my wife of 45 years.
I certainly agree with your assessment of the Ports big deal, now most people that were strongly opposed to it have started to take their head out of their butts and now see that it is reasonable. It may not be a good deal, but at least it is reasonable. I have yet to see one of those real "sharp" journalist types ask some of those idiots while they are spouting off about "no foreigners should be running our ports" just where the hell have they been for the last 50 years when practically all our port operations have been sold off to foreigners. Can you imagine we have even sold some to China? That's what happens when ports were being run so badly that they were all money losing operations. Somebody had to run them that could make money without us poor taxpayers taking it in the shorts.
I heard Tommy Franks (one of my heros) make the statement that some of the highjackers lived in Florida, trained to fly airliners there, and used banking facilities there for transferring money, and he still likes Florida,and just because some of those same things happened in UAE doesn't make them all bad. I also believe that the great majority of citizens are like that woman who didn't want to listen to you. I hear, just for example, that say President Bush's approval rating is 37% and I'll say to my wife, "that's just about the same percentage that would recognize a picture of him." People that are totally ignorant of a situation are very quick to follow the stampeding herd. I asked my college grandson yesterday, "do you think there is such a thing as 'global warming'"? His answer was, " well it was 75 on Christmas day, the evidence pretty well speaks for itself doesn't it?" I would like to point out that he really is an intelligent person, he just is being indoctrinated at a public university.(not Ga Tech) I said yea, it was the hottest January since 1953. and so I would interpret that to mean that since 1953, every January has been cooler than that one, and that I had heard if it warms up 3 degrees C. that it will be as hot as it was a half a million years ago. Funny how the facts can get in the way of public opinion sometimes. Another tidbit, since you have one of those "spyware" things that tell you who reads your blog, you will no doubt already know that I read it every day. Why? because you have a very good writing style and usually interesting subjects. I don't yet know how to draw a bar thru some of the words I write to substitute other usually nicer and/or more politically correct ones,so in some cases here I may just be using the nicer words to start with. One other thing, The First Presbyterian Church in St. Marys, Ga was built in 1808 and is still in use today. It is a wooden structure similar to the one in Darien.