Thursday, May 04, 2006

A Belated Happy Birthday

I Missed This...

Most everyone that knows me personally knows that I have a fairly wide range of musical taste and knowledge.

I've wasted time fooling around with the guitar, the piano, the trumpet, and most recently I drag about 30 harmonicas around with me in order to assault a sometimes unwilling audience with various blues bends and riffs.

I also have started singing in public, although I'm afraid that my Willie Nelson, Jimmy Buffet and James Taylor imitations are more like impressionist Rich Little's renditions of Richard Nixon and Jack Benny than actual original vocal talent.

The thing I lament the most about some of today's popular music (particularly that listened to by those under 30) is the obvious lack of vocal talent and inability to actually sing lyrics--Rap and "alternative" artists being the worst offenders.

I just noticed my blog Idols over at Powerline mentioned that Tuesday was the 103rd anniversity of Bing Crosby's birth.



What is hard for me to believe that he's been dead for nearly 29 years now, so I understand why all of the aforementioned "20 somethings" might not know what good singing sounds like.

Happy Birthday Bing ...

No comments: