Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I’m A Ramblin’ Wreck From Georgia Tech…

And A Son Of A Gambolier?


OK folks, this morning I want to wade into this hysterical hoopla over the Spanish language version of the National Anthem.

It might surprise you to learn that I’ve decided that I just don’t care…if they want to sing Francis Scott Key’s patriotic ballad in Spanish or Chinese or Swahili—let them sing it.

I’m not insulted and I’m not going to get excited—two reactions that I think might be exactly what they (the British music producer, the illegals, and their supporters) want us to do.

Don’t get me wrong here, my first reaction was probably the same as yours ("WHAT THE HELL?"), but then I started thinking about it and did a little Googleing and you know what?

There are hundreds of songs out there that share the same tunes already, and actually Mr. Key wrote the lyrics to "The Star Spangled Banner" using a tune stolen from an English song called “To Anacreon In Heaven.”

I guess that the maybe the British bitched and complained a little at first, but we’re still singing the song using the same tune today, aren't we?

And here’s a little history for you, by the way…did you know that “The National Anthem” has only been “The National Anthem” since 1931?

Well it has...

And I bet you also think that it was written during the Revolutionary War, but it was actually written in 1814 after Mr. Key witnessed the assault of Ft. McHenry in Baltimore during the War of 1812.

Up until the late 1800’s, Reverend Samuel Francis Smith’s "My County ‘tis of Thee" was the de facto National Anthem until Congress decided to get in on the act and pass the 1931 resolution.

And once again the tune for Reverend Smith’s lyrics was stolen from the British, as it is also the tune for their national anthem “God Save The Queen.”

Other well known songs like Oh Danny Boy and even my beloved Georgia Tech’s fight song “Ramblin’ Wreck From Georgia Tech" each uses traditional folk tunes as their basis.

So calm down, and get over it--I say that we shouldn't get all worked up over this.

After all, if we imposed the same standards on Georgia Tech fans as we want to put on the protesters, I’d be a “Son of a Gambolier” instead of "A HELL OF AN ENGINEER."

Hell, I don't even know what a "Gambolier" is, let alone how I'd go about being the son of one, do you?

No comments: