Friday, May 05, 2006

Best Laid Plans—Phase II

Draining My Mud Drum…


OK, first go read my previous posting entitled "Best Laid Plans", then stop back by here if you really want to put things into perspective.

I know, I know, I know…poor poor pitiful me….

I’ve spent the entire week trying to selfishly glorify myself by doing things for others, and it seems that God really does have a sense of humor because two of the three projects I’ve undertaken have leapt up and bit me on the ass here at the last minute, in spite of my efforts to have them finished by WEDNESDAY.

First and foremost, I’m cooking dinner for 30 people Saturday night. You might have already heard...

Yes ladies and gentlemen, we’re co-hosting a party. We’ve spent a bunch of bucks on food to cook, and yes they’ll probably slap me on the back and carry me around on their shoulders if I’m successful…but…regardless of any self serving accolades I still have a 7 pound pork roast in the oven and about 5 pounds of beef roast in a Dutch oven on the stovetop as I write.

Come hell or high water the preparation of my menu, including another 10 pounds of chicken, is first and foremost on my personal agenda, but just DAMN…

my other two projects just won’t stay the hell out of the way.

I’ve already written about my “Pool Fence Project”, so now that I ask you to indulge me while I gripe about my “friend’s auto sale” project.

For the past few months I’ve been helping an absentee neighbor sell his car that is sitting here on St. Simons Island.

No big deal, you might say—and that’s exactly what I thought when we started the project. After all, the loan was paid off, they had a buyer, and all I had to do once the title came in the mail was swap the keys and title for a check, right?

Wrrrrooooonnnnngggggg.

Sweet people that they are, the elderly couple buying the car just don’t have a CLUE, and apparently they haven't had to borrow money to buy a used car before.

I’ve been calling and begging and pleading for them to consummate the deal since Tuesday, and finally today we agreed that I would drive the car to their loan office over in the real world in Brunswick at 10 AM to pick up the check in exchange for the title and keys.

Wrrrrooooonnnnnngggggg.

By 10:45 I learned that not only did my buyers not have the necessary documents to get the loan, but they also hadn’t been advised of what they needed until Thursday morning and “they were going back home in Darien” (20 miles away) to get them.

Just DAMN…

I politely told the lovely loan officer that I had had enough and drove back home, thereby limiting my time wastage to a measly 2 hours. I also told her that I had extensive personal commitments until Monday and that we should just plan on rescheduling the transaction for next week.

Come 3:30 PM, I got a phone call delightfully declaring that my purchaser was sitting in the loan office, check in hand, and that they wanted their car.

Wrrrrrrrroooooonnnnnnggggg.

I likewise delightfully reminded said young enthusiastic loan officer of my earlier 25 mile round trip in the morning and my declaration of my unavailability between then and Monday AM. I asked that she offer my regards to my purchaser and explain that their collective ineptitude would result in a slight delay in the consummation of our four wheeled transaction.

I’m such a heartless bastard, but it was “pool time” and in addition I needed to go check on my imbeciles contractors and get a little sun.

Feeling about 50% less stressed, cocktails by the pool ensued.

Oooooohhh…Aaaahhhhhhhh…

Poolside I thought to myself that I’d just put the week’s BS behind me and enjoy doing my cooking, having postponed the auto deal and put most of my contractor induced woes behind me.

Wrrrrrrrooooooooonnnnnngggg.

When we returned from the pool we had a voice mail message from our buyer saying that they wanted to come pick up the car today.

Wrrrroooooooooooonnnnnngggg.

I hate to admit it, but I lost my shit. I yelled at the loan officer on the phone. I would have yelled at the buyer if they had answered the phone. I yelled in front of my girlfriend and I think that I was lucky that I didn’t have a heart attack I was so angry.

Who the hell do these people think they are and what the hell were they thinking?

After all…I was there in the loan office with the car, car title, and keys in hand this morning.

No one else was prepared, even though I called everyone for two days previously and we agreed on the process before I arrived.

I know that my lips were moving and words were coming out of my mouth, but I must be crazy or dreaming or otherwise speaking gibberish because no matter what I do, people have the audacity to not only waste my time, but then they get upset with ME when I won’t bend further backwards to accommodate THEM.

This goes out to several select individuals (and you know who or whom you are)

YOU CAN ALL JUST KISS IT (MY ASS, THAT IS...)

No comments: