Monday, June 11, 2007

Battery Blogging

I Was Adapter-Less...


Well, I managed to leave my computer's AC adapter laying in the corner of the living room floor at home on Thursday, so as a result I had to socialize and act like a normal person all weekend rather than spending most of my time staring at a laptop monitor.

We made it back from sunny central Florida in record time yesterday--about three & one-half hours--just in time to make up a batch of Pizza dough and head out to the swimming pool to swelter in the 90 degree heat while the dough was rising.

The outside temperature display on our car read 104 degrees F on sections of I-95, but the AC on our new Chrysler 300 hung right in there and kept us nice and cool as we blasted along in the light north bound traffic. (southbound was another story as there was a wreck between Daytona and Jacksonville that had the interstate CLOSED southbound and had produced a ten mile backup.)

I managed to skip posting anything at all yesterday and only handed out a photo of Friday evening's Space Shuttle launch on Saturday, but in an effort to get ahead of things this week, and in spite of the fact that I'm preoccupied with planning my construction efforts, let's see what I can come up with to comment on this morning.

...I know, did you realize that our Chrysler doesn't have a key lock on the trunk?

How wierd is that?

The car has power door locks and you can open the trunk lid by pressing a button on the key, but there is nowhere to stick the key in and turn it to pop the trunk open like everybody used to do in the old days.

Since the battery is mounted in the trunk instead of under the hood with the engine, and since I keep my jumper cables in a plastic box in the trunk along with the rest of my maintenance and emergency gear, I have to ask:

"How the heck do I get into the trunk when I have a dead battery and the power trunk latch doesn't work as a result?"

More precisely, "how do I get to the battery and jumper cables if the trunk is locked and the battery is dead?"

Doesn't this seem like a potential problem to you?

In reading the owners manual, it would appear that the designers never considered this problem. I find that pretty hard to believe, however.

Since the backs of the rear seat fold down, I guess that I could fold one down and crawl on my stomach through the opening to pull the emergency release on the inside trunk lid.

I'm not looking forward to doing that, however.

Seems like a lot of trouble to me--I'm going to do some more research to see if we're missing anything here.

Next my the list...Paris Hilton.

Never mind...who in their right mind could possibly care anyway.

Iraq?

Blaaa, Blaaa, Blaaaaaaaaaaa...

Next topic?

Feel free to entertain yourself and fill in the blank here ________________________.

1 comment:

Richthofen said...

My new Chrysler Pacifica has an electric liftgate as well - nary a key tumbler to be found on it's baby-smooth ass...

If you look under the hood (pull the handle that's marked "No user servicable parts inside. Refer servicing to a qualified technician") you'll see that the jump-start attachment points are clearly marked. The solution is to not store the jumper cables in the trunk. Keep 'em under the back seat.