Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I'm A Filthy Guy

And Loving Every Minute Of It...


Thankfully I survived yet another day sweating in and on my construction project yesterday--this time doing a few tasks which I had seen done before but never actually participated in myself.

The most daunting effort involved removing an exterior door and the associated metal door frame which turned out to be quite firmly attached to the surrounding concrete blocks. If you had asked me two years ago upon my exit from the hospital I would have doubted that I would ever again survive another day working like I did yesterday. I had dirt and concrete dust covering me from head to toe.

In the process, I got to use some of my new tools like my hammer drill and my portable sawsall to cut the frame and then beat the heck out of it with my sledge hammer until it finally gave in, bounced off my knee, dropped to the ground, and allowed me to haul the pieces out to an ever growing pile of debris building up in the front yard.

Then I built a wooden 2x8 box frame out of pressure treated lumber and hoisted it into the gaping opening, covering it with a temporary piece of plywood until I can get around to installing the new external siding later this month on the front of the building.

I also spent some time cleaning the well aged funk out of one of the bathrooms so that when and if I can convince Pat to actually spend more than 5 seconds inside the structure helping me with my efforts she won't be afraid to use the "facilities" when nature calls.

Next up is yet another trip to Home Depot for more lumber, then a few days of building some temporary walls to support the roof while I knock giant holes in the existing load bearing partitions to convert the duplex floor plan into a single family home.

If you don't hear from me for a couple of days, would someone please call 911 and have them search for my bloated carcass lying under a pile of rubble?

Thanks for your concern...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You seem to be doing quite alot of work. You should post the before and after pictures. Good luck.