Sunday, May 31, 2009

Construction Completion?

Today's The Day...

Well, I'm happy to report that we've managed to make it though 24 continuous hours without a rain storm for the first time in nearly a week here on the banks of the Mighty Tennessee River.

I got four footings dug, concrete poured and elevations set yesterday along with a little more fencing installed, and today it looks like I can finish the oversize stairway and complete the fencing expansion...leaving only the most difficult part of the project on my Punch list.

That line item--taking out a window and cutting a large enough opening for a new exterior french door-- will have to wait until next weekend because we have family guests arriving on Monday for a week stay and I don't want to be doing sheetrock work and more importantly, making sheetrock dust with a toddler crawling around the place.

As usual I've managed to take a three or four day project and turn in into a multi-week epic saga/adventure but then again I'm working for FREE and it's my house and I don't see getting all lathered up in a hurry.

Rushing takes all the fun out of something I really do enjoy having the tools and skills to to on my own. I figure that I might as well do this kind of stuff while I still can because there's been periods of time in the past when I couldn't stand up long enough or have the strength and stamina to accomplish much of anything, and who knows what the future holds with my crappy legs and hypercoagulative blood.

That said, time to pour a giant insulated mug of Gatoraid and go make sawdust before it gets too hot outside...

No comments: