Tuesday, June 09, 2009

New Hole In Wall Nears Completion

Opossums and Raccoons Stay Out...


Being the expert construction manager and project engineer that I am, I waited until after lunch yesterday to start sawing and banging on the bricks under the soon to be removed window on the back of the house.

The first task was to remove an old 220 V outlet which had apparently been used to power a window unit AC before central air was added in the 1970's, and I also had to relocate a 120 V receptacle originally under the window frame to a spot adjacent to the new door opening.

By about 4 PM I was sorry for my lethargy because I had also learned how hard my bricks where which were made way back in 1963.

I had expected to just beat out a couple forming a hole and then tipping the sawed section out onto a tarp on my new deck surface.

WRONG.

I had to beat the crap out of each and every single brick with a ten pound hand sledge hammer and when the dust settled I had a giant wheelbarrow full of "brick chips" and mortar crumbles to dispose of.

So any way, today I'm getting an earlier start and hope to have the old window out by lunch time and the new door stood up in it's place.

Of course there will be the obligatory trip to Home Depot and/or Lowe's but as long as I can compete the project with no significant bloodshed I'll consider it a success.

Wish me luck...if you will...

No comments: