Friday, June 12, 2009

Rain...Rain...Go Away

I'm Cultivating Sunbeams in My Cucumbers...


Well, my work wiring up the new outlets and exterior light around the new door was interrupted when we got blasted by a thunderstorm dropping pea sized hail and featuring a spectacular lightning display yesterday afternoon.

Then it rained on and off again all evening as I sat out on the front porch smoking a cigar and reading the 1881 vintage copy of "Gullivers Travels" which arrived yesterday.

Another E-bay purchase, I was interested in a section identified by my blog Idols over at Powerline talking about the government schools of the time

Ironically, Swift's description of "The Grand Academy of Lagad" would serve as an accurate description of todays colleges and universities and even the behavior of the Obama Rama Dang Dang administration recently.

In this passage about "extracting sunbeams from cucumbers" I'm reminded of the sniveling, booger eating, tree hugging, eco-friendly greenie weenie Liberals impossible desire for "green energy":

"The first man I saw was of a meagre aspect, with sooty hands and face, his hair and beard long, ragged, and singed in several places. His clothes, shirt, and skin, were all of the same color. He had been eight years upon a project for extracting sunbeams out of cucumbers, which were to be put in phials hermetically sealed, and let out to warm the air in raw inclement summers.

He told me, he did not doubt, that in eight years more, he should be able to supply the governors gardens with sunshine, at a reasonable rate; but he complained that his stock was low, and entreated me to give him something as an encouragement to ingenuity, especially since this had been a very dear season for cucumbers."

Sixteen years wasted on a stupid concept?

At government expense and even official blessing?

I won't bore you with the entire text, but the book goes on to describe a half dozen equally dubious endeavors by "academics" in various pursuits, including another "professor" trying to take human feces and make it back into food by removing the stink and saliva.

By the way, I think I see some sunbeams in my cucumber patch so I've got to go now and try to get some trimwork done.

Y'all have a lovely day...if you will...

No comments: