Saturday, June 13, 2009

Steady Slow Progress

Stamina and Lethargy Take Their Toll...


Yesterday I managed to COMPLETELY REMOVE the French door I installed earlier in the week because there was a half inch bulge in the sheet rock on one side and the hardwood flooring was also holding things out of plumb by about the same amount.

At first I thought I'd just live with things because, after all, I didn't BUILD the house I just was adding a door.

Then after looking at things for 24 hours and thinking about the issue I just couldn't stand putting my name on a sloppy installation. After all, I've already replaced most of the interior doors with new custom cut six panel slabs/hinges/knobs and besides...

anything worth doing is worth doing right--particularly when it involves the place you own and live and work in each day.

So the door was dismounted and laid out on the new Turbo Pup deck while I sawed and chiseled away the offending wood and after about an hour and one half of fumbling and sweating I was right back where I started Friday at noon.

Today's task is to finally repair the wounded air compressor with the parts which have been sitting around for a week now and see if I can manage to put up some trim around the interior of the door and maybe get some fence pickets in place.

Of course the rough opening for the door is a non-standard height because I took out a window and had to work with what was built in 1963 so there's a 2 1/4" gap between the top of the door casing and the sheet rock.

Instead of $3.50 worth of trim I have to go with $20 worth of #1 clear pine and some crown moulding producing a Colonial style casement around the opening.

It will look pretty nice once I'm finished but instead of 15 minutes with the miter saw it will probably involve a couple hours of cogitating and layout.

Time to put on my work clothes and get going I guess.

Y'all enjoy your Saturday while I slave away.

No comments: