Friday, February 12, 2010

"Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler"

"Let The Good Times Roll..."


I knew something was bothering me this week. I could feel it in my bones...I was forgetting something that used to be important to me in another life.

This morning I realized what it was...the annual Mardi Gras celebrations are in full swing down in New Orleans and Mobile and Pensacola.

Further, this coming Tuesday is "Fat Tuesday," the last day before the beginning of Lent on Ash Wednesday.

This week marks the 32nd anniversary of my first attendance of the Mardi Gras festivities in the Big Easy in 1978 with the Georgia Tech NROTC band.

I was back again in 1986 and 1987, and again in 1996 or 1997 (the exact year escapes me), but today with the effects of sanity/insanity and age/maturity/immaturity I've elected to leave the raucous antics to the college kids and heartier older adults in the population.

I think that everybody should have the opportunity to experience Mardi Gras once in New Orleans...Beignets and Chicory Coffee at Cafe du Monde and Breakfast at Brennans and dinner at Commander's Palace, but a little bit goes a looooonnnggg way and it's expensive and the crowds these days are nerve wracking and I expect I've probably seen my last sunrise on Dauphine or Royal or Bourbon Street.

Meanwhile, my Forensic Engineering Business partner's coming to town for the weekend, so I guess that it's time to go read the paper and take a nap I guess...




No comments: