Thursday, February 11, 2010

New Drug Shipment Chocolate Purchase

I'm Injuneering Myself A Diabetic Coma...


I have another day off today because I couldn't get my new valve rebuild parts delivered until this afternoon, so we wandered by Fresh Market on the way to happy hour yesterday looking for more Truffle making materials.

Sure enough they had gotten in a new shipment of Ghirardelli Semi-sweet Chocolate bars. I'd cleaned them out last weekend and was tempted to do the same again, but I left behind three bars for some other junkie chocolate loving customer after putting this in my shopping cart...



That would be 2-1/4 pounds of semi sweet for Truffle cores and 1/2 pound of white chocolate for covering some of the finished products.

I've pretty much got the process down...16 gram balls for things covered with coco powder or other thin stuff and 14 gram balls for the ones covered with a crisp chocolate skin or crushed nuts like toasted almonds and hazelnuts.

I'm going to set everything up again around lunch time and try to knock out another three or four dozen of three or four flavors in a short time frame...the final details of which are as yet to be determined.

I ordered a bunch of chocolate flavoring and coloring oils on-line but they won't be here until Monday so this batch will just be chocolate and raspberry and orange/Grand Mariner I guess. The coloring oil will allow me to pipe little lines and decorations onto the outside of the hard chocolate shells in the future like Godiva does.

I'm definitely obsessed with the process...somebody save me or distract me or something before I gain another 100 pounds...

2 comments:

Ann said...

do you actually weigh each piece? because only an engineer would do that. lol

Virgil Rogers said...

YES...You HAVE to weigh them if you are going to package them, because otherwise they come out all over the map in size and they sit funny in the little paper cups and make the lids of the boxes close funny.

I increased my yield by almost 50% by laying a little piece of wax paper on my digital kitchen scale and fooling around with the weight.

What started out as giant blobs at 22 to 24 grams is now a lovely 14 to 16 gram orb (Godiva claims 17 grams finished if you do the math using the numbers on their website) that looks good in the package and is two nice bites each of flavor for the recipiant.