Sunday, July 02, 2006

Art for Children

Mr. Frog Got an Pseudo-Honorable Mention


Well, last evening I attended my third Art Gallery opening in which I had some of my work displayed.

This time my contribution to the exhibit was three 16”x20” photographs. Here's one example...




My nerves have calmed down a bit since the first exhibit last winter, so I could actually enjoy the event and interaction with the other artists. Let me tell you, there are some GREAT photographers here on the island and elsewhere that were represented.

Once again I managed to screw around, after knowing about the exhibit since last summer, and create a bit of a disaster for myself when it came to printing the final copies of my photos.

I actually shot all three images which I decided to use in this show in the fall of last year, but I waited until two weeks ago to have them reproduced in the larger format because of the cost, not to mention the framing and matting expenses.

We’re talking spending dozens of hours and hundreds of dollars when the process is completed and, for whatever reason, I apparently specialize in cramming it all into the last few days before a show opens.

I guess that I waited because we don’t need a bunch of extra giant format copies of my photos hanging on the wall and I didn’t get notice that I was accepted in the exhibit until early June. In theory all of the photo's are for sale to the viewing public, but I'm not egotistical enough to believe that I'll sell all three going into the show so you understand the issue of frugality.

This time it was a UPS shipping error that caused my agony, but I managed to pull everything together late Friday and the quality of my photos offset the quick and dirty framing and matting I was forced to live with.

The bad news is that I didn’t receive an actual award in the exhibit, but when I saw the work I was up against I understood why.

The gentleman that did the judging was a professional commercial photographer of some reputation, and he took the time to address each of the photos he recommended for awards, and in the middle of his discussion he commented at length on my photos, and mentioned that his young daughter liked my work the best and that she told him that his judgment was in error.

He even gave me an opportunity to address the audience about my work and explain what I had done and where the photos were taken.

There were nineteen photographers and 57 photos, and I was in the top eight images—not enough for a prize, but there’s always next year.

Based on the the little girl's reaction, I think that I’ll start sending my work out to the elementary school competitions.

Any kids out there need a giant picture of a frog or an azalea?

No comments: