Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Live Blogging From "The Cone Of Death"

Well...Actually...We're just Almost In The "Cone of Death"


I guess that Al Gore and the balance of the liberal eco-tree-hugger-global-warming nuts all have their panties boxers wet now, because the first major blip on the radar of the Cape Verde part of the summer hurricane season has recently formed and is moving this way as I write.

Here's the latest map of its predicted progress:




Of course you do realize that this is just Tropical Depression #4 of this Hurricane season that began in late May or early June?

What’s up with that?

Last time I listened to the blithering mainstream media idiots and the other liberal nay-sayers, they were guaranteeing that Condi Rice and President Bush would by now be personally responsible for pounding every third world island in this hemisphere and every minority neighborhood within 100 miles of the coast of the southern US with Katrina-like monsoonal flows of wind and rain, all the time parking fleets of school buses within arms reach just to show their contempt for minorities and other “po folks”?

FEMA and the Red Cross would have orders to look the other way.

I guess that their celebrations can now begin...

Being the pompous, middle aged, white male that I am, I believe that I’ll just sit here luxuriating (or is that "luxurinating") in the knowledge that this storm will probably either:

A. Fizzle out.

B. Turn further north and attack Bermuda

C. Turn south and assault my blog buddy Steve down in south Florida

D. Screw around with all of you kids up in NY and Connecticut.

E. Scare the heck out of me if it makes it this far across the Atlantic.

My point is this...I really don't care, because I've lived in the south, adjacent to the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexica, all of my life.

Nothing has really changed.

There are still drunken kids on vacation driving sports cars up and down the beach roads threatening the safety of pedestrians and other drivers.

There are still people piloting boats offshore and in the inland waterways that have no practical seamanship skills or nautical knowledge.

There are still the usual arrogant assholes stumbling around acting like they own the place when they visit great grandmama's condo for a long weekend every other year.

Where's the medias' warnings and outrage over those hazards?

In my view, the only thing that's consistent, is the consistent inconsistency.

So why should you and I get all worked up?

Just go with the flow is my motto.

After the last hurricane season, there were all kinds of dire predictions about “killer storms” and some kind of relationship to “global warming” increasing the frequency and intensity of the resulting storms.

I’ve been saying a hearty “bah humbug” to everyone running around out there screaming such nonsense, while at the same time realizing that the southern Georgia coast and specifically St. Simons Island is statistically DUE to bear the assault of a hurricane in the coming years.

The last one was in 1964, the last real scare was in 1999, and in the late 1800’s the entire island and the city of Brunswick was under over a dozen feet of water as a result of nature’s wrath.

Excuse me, but maybe I'll think about wandering around locating my flashlight and some batteries now...

No comments: