Monday, August 14, 2006

A Man's Gotta Do What A Man's Gotta Do

For ME, That Would Seem To Sometimes Just Be Totally Useless--And I'm Good At It...


After spending most of last night doing research regarding the Federal Grant programs I'm interested in for the City of Brunswick and for some Mediterranean recipes I'm interested in cooking for the other blog, I was rousted out of bed at about 8:30 AM this morning by a phone call.

It was my buddy, Bryan Thompson, Mayor of Brunswick on the line.

While I think that it's pretty cool to be on a first name basis with the local politicians, I generally find the hours around lunchtime and thereafter to be considerably more conducive when it comes to me having a coherent conversation.

I managed to ramble through the ten minute dialogue, and the bottom line is that the City isn’t quite ready to apply for grant funding on the behalf of our “K-Street Tree Project”, and they’ve lost their person that was responsible for doing grants and didn’t want me to go off half cocked by myself, Sooooooo….

We will miss the August 14th deadline here in a few minutes.

The good news is, they still like the park idea and the tree idea and we have yet another meeting scheduled for early September at City Hall.

I have to admit that I was both disappointed and relieved at the same time.

To celebrate, I cooked a hearty Mexican dinner for Pat and I, then Pat lounged on the sofa and in the bed while I wandered down to “Open Mike” night at a local tavern.

A little singing, a little harmonica playing, and a little ego enhancing applause ensued.

Dang I’m getting rusty in the harp playing department, I need to start practicing again now that I might have an opportunity to play regularly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was searching for the origin of the man's gotta do thing (Robert Service? Dangerous Dan Mc Grew? when I hit your blog. I don't know if you get a lot of comments. I write on blogspot and no one comments on mine. meglevitt.blogspot.com
anyway, I am slightly interested and the guy who sent the quote to me might be interested, but not in THAT way, and in fact me neither, I just liked your tone.