Friday, August 18, 2006

Plastic Pots

Give Me Terra Cotta


Here's a tip for everyone out there who want's to eventually retire and move to the beach to live.

My advice only takes three words...READY?

"Heavy Flower Pots."

Simple enough?

Here's the thing...Since we moved down here to our little island, we've managed to accumulate a couple of dozen tropical plants--Palms, Ferns, Spider Plants, etc.--and they almost all came from the store in undersized plastic pots.

No problem, I figured that we'd just buy new, bigger pots, some potting soil, and replant after the first season.

My first mistake was to buy ornamental, yet cheep, plastic pots for the replacements.

Did anyone but me not know that a 6' palm tree could fly, attached to a cheep plastic pot, when influenced by the average wind velocity found within a mile of the shoreline on a normal day?

Today is one of those days, and I'm spending my time wandering around picking up plants that have been upset by the pseudotropical squall that has developed off of the Georgia coast over the past couple of days.

My point is this...do yourself a favor and buy real pots for your plants, they'll be a lot happier and you won't get the extra exercise chasing them around your patio and terraces.

No comments: