Thursday, May 24, 2007

Paralyzed With Indecision

Deadlines Take The Fun Out Of Everything...


OK, it's like this.

I'm PISSED OFF.

Why, you might ask?

Because I've just spent the past week and a half waiting on Georgia Power to turn on the electricity to a duplex property I own over in Brunswick.

Actually, only the power service to half the property was required, because I was going to install a new breaker panel and do a bunch of other electrical work on one half, then connect the new panel to Ga Power's slightly overpriced smog producing killowatts and finish up the project.

I even used the internet to schedule the work like a good computer nerd monkey boy power consumer.

So after logging into their system, setting up a user name and password, selecting a service connection date and getting a confirmation e-mail and "service connect number" from someone called "online customer care", this week I had to resort to picking up the telephone to find out that they had scheduled my connection date to be JUNE 16th, not MAY 16th!

To add insult to injury, the phone system makes you sit through some blurbs in Spanish first in order to get to the english language menu, not the other way around.

In America.

In Georgia.

In Glynn county, of all places...

I'm forced to wait on thelephone for the "Espanole" message to play first, so that they can finally tell me in English, seven days late, that I have to call the city building department and have an inspector approve my electrical service...the same electrical service that was working just fine when my last tennant skipped out in the middle of the night--oweing me about three months of past due rent money.

Nothing's changed on the building, I'm not even going to be using the bigger wiring on loads like the oven and waterheater, but Georgia Power's website doesn't know how to tell me that there's gonna be a delay.

Why did they even bother to allow me to schedule the service connection on the internet if they weren't going to allow me to also check on the order's progress afterwards and let me know that there was a problem?

I had to call twice, and listen to Spanish babble before I learned that our local monopoly power company was thumbing their nose at taking my money.

Good God, you gotta love "Customer no-Service" departments...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hate the "push one" for english...other countries don't do this!