Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Ugly Is As Ugly Does

Entertaining...Versus Just Complaining?



You got a minute?

I've slowly been coming to a substantial realization about my blogging efforts--both political and culinary. Sit down, grab yourself a glass of your favorite beverage, and let me bounce some ideas off of you if you don't mind.

In retrospect, I think that thus far I pretty much look like a pompous, at best somewhat talented Ass....with the emphasis being on the "ass" part of the equation.

Is that not a fair assessment?

I've pretty much offended everyone out there that can be offended, even some groups and individuals that really do deserve some coddling and protection in the name of civility or based on social/mental/physical infirmity.

To that end, I realize that I've GOT to GET ORGANIZED.

If I were to sit down regularly and make some notes, thereby capturing 50% of the ideas which I come up with during an average day so that I could follow through with researching and writing something meaningful, this place and the Redneck Gourmet could become something other than just a haunt for my friends and family and a few well placed acquaintances here on the Internet.

Thus far my blog only serves as some sort of a psyco(illogical) early warning system for a few folks out there. My Mom calls if I disappear for more than 24 hours on line, while a number of people out there probably celebrate my absence, but you still keep coming back when it's all said and done.

My buddy Steve over at Hog On Ice has given up writing about Politics almost entirely because he recognises that you alienate 50% of your potential readers when you open your mouth or place your fingers on a computer keyboard to enter the political arena--even if you are right in what you say. Publication of conservative and libertarian views causes even greater conflict for some reason.

Instead, Mr. Grahm has expanded his efforts into humor and Podcasting, and I've listened to and participated in a couple of his Sunday evening shows about cooking and it's an interesting concept I agree will continue to gain in popularity.

The other thing that Steve has done is sell books. Two cookbooks and another strange compilation about torturing Nigerian Spammers, but the man has cash flowing in his direction as a direct result of his writing.

Thus this realization...

I've made money drawing things on paper and computers for years. That said, why can't I retire in luxury as a result of my writing efforts--IF I can learn to better use spellcheck and understand the difference between the proper usage of words like "that" and "which" which I constantly mutilate to the chagrin of the school teachers and English majors in my audience.

I really do love writing, and in spite of how I felt in High School and College, it really isn't what I'd consider work today to toss together four or five thousand words given the right inspiration.

Now...

While you laugh hysterically at my public daydreaming, I have to get ready to go make some more sawdust over on the Job site. Callouses aren't much use on the keyboard, but right now making them thicker is the only way I have to get the funds to pay my bills.

Have a nice Wednesday...If you will.

No comments: