Thursday, September 25, 2008

Morons And Trolls

I'm Operating A Storefront Of Words... Open To Infinity


Perhaps the coolest thing about writing here on the Internet is the reality that you never know who might be stopping by to see what's going through your mind and coming off your fingertips onto the computer keyboard on any given day.

Might be Madonna today, might be Micheal Jackson tomorrow, could be the Pope or someone working for the CIA next Tuesday...you just never know and I insist on being myself come what may rather than writing what I think that people might want to see and read.

Personally, I obtain a good deal of value from my efforts because writing things down (thoughts, ideas, etc.) and then viewing them in the light of public scrutiny helps me make better life decisions...in as much as if something sounds really stupid when I write about wanting to do it or already having done it I might reconsider doing it in the first place or repeating the effort in the future.

I also write about some things which I firmly believe but which many people would hardly ever say out loud let alone write down for public consumption.

I guess that it helps that I have a fairly strong personal belief system which I rely on to get me through each day, and rather than floating like a jellyfish through the sea of my fellow humanity which has elected or been taught to behave like spineless jellyfish, I instead tend to point myself in a direction and take responsibility for the consequences as they occur.

No, everything is and has not been perfect or easy in the process of meandering through almost five decades of life, but it certainly has been interesting when viewed from an internal perspective rather than worrying about what other people and society "thinks" all the time.

For instance, my recent Internet traffic increase had to do with an innocent posting I tossed up in a hurry this past Sunday entitled Biden's "Health Problems" addressing some rumors I'd been hearing over the past month about sHrillary replacing Biden on the Obama ticket for President.

As I've said in the past, I say/write what I think/believe here on this blog and you can and should take it with a grain of salt, but I do not support purveying outright liable and slander in my writing.

I just address the things that bother me or make me happy and if you don't like what I write you're welcome to get the hell out and go somewhere else on the Internet. Remember that just like the radio and TV have "channel knobs", the Internet has URL's and you're welcome to exclude mine from your favorites list any time you want.

That said, I've had a couple of snide commenter's take the time to poke me with a pointy stick this past week in the comments section and while I'm not going to lose any sleep over the occurrences I think that it's worth mentioning my position on comments and the inevitable encounters with "Comment Trolls" that every successful blogger has to attend to.

For those not versed in the subject, a "Troll" is a person that elects to hang around a website and nit pick or even torture the websites' owner on the basis of the commentary contained therein.

Thus far I've been such a low traffic, obscure site that I get virtually ZERO comments (other than Heather and Ed and Rick) so I have to assume that those reading my rantings either agree whole heatedly or could care less else find me too stupid to waste mental energy issuing a rebuttal.

Every once in a while, usually during a link induced traffic blast, I get someone that thinks themselves to be "intelligent" or "web savvy" and feel that they must impart some of their intellect on me and my blog.

Most recently I've had these comments:

"Not to rain on your parade but I didn't hear it here first. This speculation has been out for close to a week already."


"And your point is?"

The first comment was in response to my very short Sunday blurb pointing out that Biden's health was an ongoing issue on the Internet, but because of limited time I just tossed out the headline to acknowledge the event--so I guess that I have to accept the Anonymous commenter's one-upmanship that he/she knew about it before I could get to my keyboard.

In response to "And your point is?" I offer these closing paragraphs from my Monday, September 22nd essay:

"I can no more vote for him than against him using this data as the deciding factor than I believe that anyone should discount John McCain's ability to fulfill his term if elected president because of his age.

As to what if anything Obamarama's campaign might be planning regarding a personnel change in the Vice Presidential slot, I think that Senator Joe's mettle might just over-ride any purported physical fragility (which should have been vetted prior to the announcement of his inclusion on the Dem's ticket).

But then again--since when have the facts gotten in the way of expedience and "winning" when it comes to politics?"

So what is there to not understand in my efforts?

All I was saying was that people were interested in Joe Biden's health history, I handed out a few links to the details I could find, and I said that I wouldn't be electing a President and Vice-President based on anything I could find relating to the health of the candidates for those offices.

The good news is I've got Internet traffic, the bad news is that everyone doesn't think I'm smart and good looking I guess...

1 comment:

Robert Simms said...

It's funny you should mention the increase in your traffic......as you know, I linked to your posts on Biden's Health problems. Here's the thing; my traffic has jumped thru the roof with folks coming to my blog via yours.
Now, if these folks would just click on my Google ads.....