Sunday, November 13, 2011

My Day Off On A Ladder

Putting In Brighter Bulbs...


A couple of things finally hit me yesterday--a Saturday--when many if not MOST working people were taking a day off from their jobs.

I personally didn't have the opportunity to enjoy any such luxury because I still have about half of my possessions sitting in boxes in my office and garage, and there's a nearly infinite number of other things needing doing around here as we settle into our new home in Oklahoma and they (the things needing doing) are not going to get done all by themselves.

My first realization was this:

WE HAVE FOUR TOILETS IN THIS HOUSE.

Seriously, I had been confused for a while because the real estate ad said "three bathrooms"...but when the dust settled and I walked around and counted toilets...each of the three bedrooms had dedicated bathrooms, and then there's a half bath off of the kitchen in the hallway leading to the garage so the actual total is FOUR toilets.

FOUR TOILETS.

After living for five years in a house with only a full bath and one half, it's sort of interesting being able to just turn around, take a few steps, and take care of business without having to plan the event and have a map and make a trip across the property to accommodate my physical needs.

And Pat's already begun the process of buying a new assortment of lovely decorative toilet brushes with integral holding containers...

...so each toilet has it's own toothbrush brush residing nearby for cleaning purposes.

The next revelation came in regard to the CEILING HEIGHT in this house...or more specifically... the realities of accessing the ceilings most 9' and some 10' and 12' high in different spaces and...

all having things like ceiling fans and recessed can lights which will need maintenance in the coming weeks and  months.

The project at hand yesterday was to replace all of the 65 watt bulbs in the ceiling can lights in the living room, kitchen, and master bathroom with higher wattage bulbs and install dimmer switches.

Problem was, I had a 20' extension ladder only good for leaning up against stuff while climbing, and then I had a little 5' A-frame step ladder which was just asking me to climb it to it's top so I could fall off and break my neck or leg.

So of course a trip to Home Depot was in order, and then after returning home I had to haul my butt up and down my new 8' step ladder about fifteen or twenty times, and then I got to wander out to the breaker panel out in the garage and find out that things were actually pretty well labeled so I could turn off the electrical power to various circuits in order to install dimmers...

and at the end of the day I was tired but had avoided electrocution.

All and all a good productive day I'd say...and now it's time to plan the next Home Depot trip for Sunday, and try to spend the day with my feet on the ground instead of up on a ladder rung if possible.

Hope you all have a LOVELY  SUNDAY...Y'all...  

No comments: