Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Back To Reality -- My Goose Butt Was Cooked

For Everyone But Me, That Is...


Well, I found our parking lot to be strangely quiet early this morning after almost a week of supporting the increased activity associated with the Memorial Day Holiday.

I'm happy to report that we managed to survive the proceedings here in our little island home, without substantial sunburn, and likewise I trust that you and your families had a good time and avoided having your name placed on one of the lists of statistics which the TV and newspapers love to focus on every two or three months.

Oops...hold on...wait a minute... I have a News FLASH--with gas over $3 a gallon, St. Simons Island was still packed. In spite of OPEC and the damn Arabs and Venezuelans and mean old President Bush, Karl Rove, and Dick Cheaney, people were still waiting in a long line of automobiles to park over at the East Beach Coast Guard Station lot.

I was personally amused to watch our hired Mexicans raise heck most of the day yesterday working on the lawns outside my front door, finishing up the tasks that should have been completed weeks ago in anticipation of hosting the invasion of owners and guests for the extended holiday celebration.

I thought that the ill conceived last minute efforts at sprucing things up was pretty stupid--but then again it was also to be easily expected considering the mentality of the people in charge around here these days.

In my opinion, since our homeowners' association is too cheep to actually hire a competent management company, and since virtually all of the real estate "professionals" here on the island are drunks or idiots or suffer from some combination of both afflictions, only the most obvious maintenance tasks get priority, and only then after something caves in or falls off the roof striking someone on their toe.

Yesterday the Condo Nazis had their second annual "free cokes and beer feast" poolside, at about the same time that I was over at Bruce and Ski's house chasing my roasted pork butt around a cutting board and slicing up limes, lemons, and oranges for garnish.

My long time readers may recall that I've tried to liven things up by doing my own Memorial Day weekend Bar-B-Que for three years in a row here poolside, but last year when the "officials" decided to finally start hosting an "approved" event (after years of neglect and high browed dis-interest), that they also chose Memorial Day for the date of their extravaganza and strangely enough I wasn't included in the planning or operations stage of their process.

That's OK, I can take a hint, even if it's not a very a subtle one...

I just went ahead and brined my butt, roasted my butt, then packed my butt up and took it over where my butt would be appreciated.

This afternoon I'm dicing up what is left of my butt and making more tamales.

We're having drinks at 5 PM, and dinner will be about 6:30, so stop on by if you're in the area.

No comments: