Monday, May 28, 2007

My Lack Of Progress Is Really Not My Own Fault

Who Makes This Stuff ... Any Way?


So here I am, at 4 AM, furiously thrashing around in my attempt at chasing about ten pounds of uncooked meat into some edible form to serve for dinner this afternoon.

Pork...Chicken...AND some soon to be tasty grilled fish fillets, along with a few pounds of vegetables that need grinding or shredding or other abuse--it's all laying around in one form or the other waiting for my attention.

It's hard handling that much meat in our little "galley" style kitchen, and storing same in our relatively small condo sized double door fridge takes some organization and planning (where's a nice 48" SubZero Fridge when you need one?)

On a positive note, I've just finished rinsing off a few things that haven't been used since last January--stuff like my food processor, and in the effort I've discovered that Pat, in what I am certain was a well intended fit of local urban renewal in support of a neighbor's yard sale, removed all of my old dishtowels from our kitchen and replaced them with lovely new decorative models.

The only problem is...

for some reason these towels, like many of our pretty "fruu fruu" bath towels, must have been treated with "scotchguard" or some other water repellent compound that absolutely refuses to take on any water...something that I find to be high on the list of things anything with the phrase "towel" in it's name should be quite adept at doing.

Seriously, I've got a couple of bath towels that I think must actually add water to your body when you wipe them across your flesh after bathing. Without getting into any gross details, let me just say that I'm a sort of harry kind of guy and I appreciate a nice fluffy ABSORBENT bath towel just like my dishes need some good competent terrycloth at the end of their trip through the kitchen sink.

This dishtowel realization follows closely on the heels of the knowledge that the old, worn out beach towels also recently went to the yard sale. When I asked what I should do about garage, shop, and construction clean up, all I was told that I could buy whatever I needed.

That's right, we GAVE away towels to sell at a yard sale, so that I could BUY towels to wipe my dirty face, hands, and puddles of oil off the floor when the time comes.

I'm laughing as I say this but...

W H Y?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny. It is Sis writing you from Louisville, KY. Have a good Memorial Day and good luck w/ the dinner. We are headed to Tenn today and will be home Tuesday.

Anonymous said...

I've heard that using fabric softener on your towels will cause thhis (temporary) problem.