Wednesday, May 30, 2007

My Toilet's Still Broken

Construction Related Delays...


Well, I've been back in town for a couple of weeks now, and I still find myself constantly looking at a festering list of things which I haven't had the time and/or the energy to accomplish thus far.

Perhaps the most annoying task is the one involving the replacement of the guts of the toilet in our guest bathroom with new cheep plastic components which I purchased in one of my earlier expeditions to Home Depot.

I'll readily admit that I will do almost anything to avoid screwing around working on old plumbing fixtures. That's why plumbers get away charging $100 an hour, I think.

I don't mind turning off the water supply and unbolting some well worn old porcelain device in order to toss it into the trash, but having to reach my arms and face down inside the bowels of an old sink or toilet's tank just isn't my idea of a fun way to spend an afternoon.

That's exactly the kind of work I'm looking at here in the next couple of days, and the ever mounting costs of excess water consumption is ultimately going to embarrass me into breaking out my monkey wrench and channel-lock pliers and ending our suffering.

That said, I'm sitting here procrastinating again this morning, anticipating hauling my butt over the bridges to Brunswick after rush hour in order to do some more smashing and crashing around under the roof of the old Duplex building.

Adding to my current state of fear is the fact that over on the mainland I have not one but two hideous old toilets lurking in the recesses of the building, taunting me each and every time I walk past the doors of the restrooms.

At least one of them has the water supply attached and turned on, so I guess that I will have to don my rubber gloves and splash a few gallons of Clorox around inside and over the surfaces of everything so I'll have somewhere relatively safe to sit when the time comes.

Assuming that nothing falls over on my head, I'll be back at the keyboard again this evening and maybe then I'll have something interesting to write about (other than toilets.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

go ahead and fix the toilet. It'll only take an hour, at most, and then you will have to find something else to procrastinate about. You're not a plumber, so you have the right to have your plumbing work correctly. Ever hear the saying, a mechanic has the worst running car, a plumber has the worst plumbing, etc? Well, you're not a plumber, so your plumbing should work.